Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Skeeter have gelcoat issues?

Had two Skeeter dealers at the Kansas City Boat Show. Every skeeter I looked at had air bubbles in the gelcoat. It felt like sand in some areas when you ran your hand across it. There was not one Skeeter that didn't have this problem. The dealer told me they would send the boat to the local repair guy to get fixed. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a common thing with Skeeter?

2. Scraps
    ew
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I have a 2014 skeeter fx 21 and the thing doesn't have any sandy feeling in the paint at all or bubbles. I wax my boat with quickie sauce and wipe down my boat every time I get off the water. I did have some very light scratches and wet sanded and buffed the boat roughly 1 yr ago. Maybe somebody with a newer boat has a different experience.

4. Member
    I would run from skeeter i had two brand new fx21’s with numerous problems on the gel coat. They replaced one and it was garbage as well i traded it in the dealer sent it back to them for repair i went with a Phoenix time will tell on it. I am not advocating for them At all just saying run from skeeter. My partner just bought a 2019 zx just because the incentive money its now impressive at all either. The deck is squeaking and several cloudy spots on the sides.

5. Member
    Why would a dealer even put a boat on display like this?

6. Member
    My zx exterior coat is as close to perfect I could ask. The interior gel has a few issues with swirling and a few spider cracks from factory. Gel is not my gripe with skeeter but I did find several loose bolts and even a loose castle nut on the sea star system.

No issues in mine..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    I have zero issues
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

9. Member
    2018 fx20. There are very minor blemishes in gelcoat here and there on mine. What I noticed was hazing on the inside of boat around the cockpit. I had some nasty looking repairs or touch ups on my fenders. Also cracks on both fenders. Skeeters sending me new fenders under warranty. Not sure if hazing is covered under warranty.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Why would a dealer even put a boat on display like this?
    I asked. The one dealer had the boats shipped directly from the factory to the convention center. So they were kind of stuck. The other said they had to go through all their inventory to pick the best ones. Rest of their inventory is headed to the fiberglass shop.

11. Member
    I have a few very minor flaws in my 2016 ZX225...every boat I have ever owned has had a few. They are made and finished by the human hand...but sand in the finish?? wow!!!....I can say this...its hard to find good employees in most industries...Its not just about problems...its about how they are handled once they are detected and reported...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    I asked. The one dealer had the boats shipped directly from the factory to the convention center. So they were kind of stuck. The other said they had to go through all their inventory to pick the best ones. Rest of their inventory is headed to the fiberglass shop.
    Good try, but that's not a corporate show so the boats did not come factory direct. Sounds like Smithville and Sport Boats didn't go over the boats or your just a Ranger troll..

13. Member
    My boat is 7 years old and looks like new. Stopped today just to look at some of the newer models at a dealership and I didn't see any problems. Glad they are four hours from home or might have been tempted to trade.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter1234 View Post
    Good try, but that's not a corporate show so the boats did not come factory direct. Sounds like Smithville and Sport Boats didn't go over the boats or your just a Ranger troll..
    I’ll go with the later answer for a $100. Lol

15. Member
    I am on my fourth Skeeter, my current boat is a 2016 FX21. All them have had very good finish and have held up well. No complaints here.

Mine is perfect and it’s almost 10 yrs old.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

My 18 ZX 250 doesn't have any problems with the gel coat at all. It's almost flawless and smooth as a baby's behind.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota 112 Ultrex Link
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12 and Elite Ti 9
    Dual PP Pro Series II
    Atlas Hydraulic JP

18. Member
    I have a 2018 fx20, I've got a spot almost the size of my hand where the top clear has a rippled look to it, I'll definitely be getting skeeter to fix.

Hand laid hulls will have small waves in them, my 2019 Fx21 Le has minor waves.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

20. Member
    If the entire boat has grit something is wrong for sure, in some cases fuel spilled on the fiberglass can cause the finish to feel rough and gritty - I have noticed that on many boats around the fuel fill.

My 2013 has a small dull spot in the back where the cap meets the hull, most people would never notice it but I clean mine so often I noticed it right away. Other than that mine is perfect, looks like new and it has been used a bunch since I purchased it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast