Banned

temperature on a older 200 optimax

2001 200 optimax
    serial number ot 273182

I've read that getting the optimax up to the right temp. before getting up on plane is very important. What are those of us who have the older optimax with no capability of smartcraft or other temperature capabilities from the factory do. Or maybe there is a harness and i just dont know where or how to find it. I've heard that i can install a analog gauge by drilling and threading a temp. sending unit into the motor then wiring a gauge to the dash, but i am not sure that is wise for some of us to attempt and the end result is fair at best. I am wondering why if mercury considers this as all important they did not include something on the motor and or a harness that something could be plugged into later. For those of you that feel i am basing mercury motors you are wrong! i am trying to do right by my motor and to follow the advise of others on the forum and i am open to any suggestions. Should i just guess at my idle time before heading out and hope it is right? am i to just wait for a temp alarm to go off? what if a themo is stuck open or ... thanks

2. Member
    I have the same year motor as you. Mine is equipped with the smartcraft. I would assume you have the harness installed on your motor from Mercury.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    I have the same year motor as you. Mine is equipped with the smartcraft. I would assume you have the harness installed on your motor from Mercury.
    I am told by the experts here that my particular motor sn ot273182 is not smartcraft capable. But just to know what color is the cable harness under the hood on your motor?

4. Member
    I can't get to my boat, but when I do I'll post it.

5. Member
    I'm pretty sure that Don or Savage will chime in on this one.Seems like the Smartcraft was on 2001 and later engines.

6. Banned
    these are pictures of two harness wire ends that i found. they are not currently plugged into anything I found them under the cowling on the starboard side towards the front. Can anyone identify them? I'm thinking that one is where the diagnostic computer is hooked up but that could be wrong.
    Last edited by lfg; 01-17-2019 at 10:30 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lfg View Post
    these are pictures of two harness wire ends that i found. they are not currently plugged into anything I found them under the cowling on the starboard side towards the front. Can anyone identify them? I'm thinking that one is where the diagnostic computer is hooked up but that could be wrong.
    I'm following this intently, because I'm in the same 'boat' as you. Gave Don my serial no and this is what he said, "Can't really reflash these for Smartcraft anymore- there was only one remaining unit in Engineering that could do this, and the guy that was doing them for us is no longer there. Simon Technologies MIGHT (ask them)."

I have no idea what 'engineering' is, but the outcome is the same. Haven't contacted Simon Tech but will. If it costs a fortune to reflash and do smartcraft or if it's a few hundred bucks to install dual temp gauges, I'd do the latter and screw smartcraft, for simply the ability to monitor both heads separately.

If there is a cost effective way to drill and tap BOTH of my heads and install twin or a single temp gauge that can show two separate temps I will absolutely do that, even remove the stock stupid speedometer (rely on gps) to do it. If anyone has any feedback or leads on this please PLEASE chime in!! Since watching engine temp like a hawk on my parnter's ProXS I've realized that we've made big mistakes just driving and waiting for warning horns, there's all kinds of things going on with our engines we aren't aware of, and even "brand new" thermostats or poppets can stick and cause all PROBLEMS! Twin temp gauges are smart money spent...
    Last edited by Fishfreq; 01-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

8. Member
    Click on this >>>>water temp gauge install

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Click on this >>>>water temp gauge install
    This is what i am intending to do. I would like to install dual sensors. On my motor the starboard side will be tight but do- able. The Port side? don't know, anyone done it before or know where to do it?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the FAQ Section- you may have to scroll down to the Second Post in that thread to find what you are looking for.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor