Boating equipment

Just moved back to Alabama from Georgia. Got my boat registered and new hull numbers installed. Friend of mine said that I have to have a flare gun or flares and a distress flag on-board. I thought all you had to have was a throw cushion, fire extinguisher and a horn and that the flares and flag were only on federally controlled waters. He insists he is right. Anyone with any input?

I think the flares and flag are for coastal water ways. Only thing I have been checked for on the lakes and rivers are PFD, fire extinguisher, fishing license and up to date boat registration.

When boating in Alabama, you are required to have a wearable PFD available for each person on board your boat. In addition, if your vessel is longer than 16 feet, you must also have at least one U.S. Coast Guard approved Type IV PFD, either a ring buoy or seat cushion. ... Personal Watercraft; Canoes, kayaks; and.
    .....................Shoofly...............................
    Eddie Jernigan - Montgomery, Alabama
    Triton TR20XDC / Mercury Optimax 225

3. Member
    http://www.lakebrowser.com/alabama/a..._equipment.asp

I am not sure if that is just for night time operation or if required all the time.
    night Time Visual Distress Signals required for boats over 16' on federally controlled waters (Flares, meteors, electric lights)