Hyd steering system

I have been looking into replacing my hyd steering system. '02 Cougar Silhouette w/ 250 Xb. Been hearing a lot about this new Uflex system, would love to get some input from those in the know. Thx

We would just replace it with the newer SeaStar gear.

3. Member
    I've had both. I think the uflex silver steer cylinder is a better product. But I also think the seastar helm pump is better. I had a seastar cylinder that wore out (inner seal wore a grove into the cylinder from lots of running in a straight line. They used a poor seal choice that had metallic particles in the seal which caused that excessive wear. Silversteer is much better everywhere. Connection to motor, etc. But the uflex cylinder I took off and replaced with the original seastar helm I had. The uflex helm had some slop where you could move the wheel ½" in either direction with no movement at the cylinder. Seastar helm did not do this.

You can replace just the cylinder as the kevlar line connections are the same for both. One thing I like as that the combination of the 2.0 cu in helm pump with the silver steer cylinder gives 3.5 turn lock to lock. Slightly increased steering effort but both my son and I agree that the net effect is an improvement. Silversteer cylinder also looks a whole lot better.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Banned
    Put U-flex cylinder on mine. Seastar had way to much slop in it. Was a straight out swap. All lines interchanged with one another. Then just bled it out. Life is good still.