Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    What voltage do you have for 100%? Using my 75AH battery,my 15 amp charger. I would get a 100% light in less than 30 min. from 13.2. Somewhere around 13.6 on my cheepie VOM. Bob
    This may help.

https://goo.gl/images/bsBTTX

2. Member
    I forgot I have one of those 12v air blowers.

Hooked up 1 battery and been blowing for the past 15 mins or so.

Says 28amp draw.

https://www.airhead.com/12v-high-pressure-pump.html

The battery meter went from 87% to 58% @ 12.6v after a few mins. It's been at the same voltage and 58% for the past 5 mins.

I have to shut down the pump after 20 mins, according to the manual to let it cool.

I'll see where the voltage. Open up my MK345PC and hook it up to the unused battery and they used battery and see what it does.

*edit*

Just turned off the blower. After about a min, the battery is showing 78% @ 13.0v.

3. Moderator
    You won't get a full charge unless you follow the battery's charging specs of 14.6V. AGM profile will still leave you short with a false 100% reading.

4. Member
    Update.

Took the MK345PC out of the box. Removed the fuses for bank 1.

Connected the other 2 banks to both batteries. I changed the profile on the charger to AGM.

I also have the DMM attached to one of the batteries. It's been 20 mins now and both batteries are shown as charging still.

The unused battery is showing 100% @ 13.7v.
    The used battery is showing 96% @ 13.5v.

The DMM is showing 13.5v

The display on the charger is still at 25%, lol.

I find it interesting because according to the manual, the voltage output for the charger should be 14.4v but I'm not reaching that voltage.

5. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcellar View Post
    The thread this picture is from is very informative about charging LFE batteries in general: https://www.granddesignowners.com/fo...me-Useful-Data

6. Member
    2 hrs in and the unused battery shows fully charged on the charger and its showing 14.5v.

The used battery shows 100% on the LCD @ 13.7v. On charger, it's still at 25%.

7. Member
    The voltage reading needs to be a static reading to be valid on the voltage chart. Not under load. As far as charging, until the batteries start with a lower state of charge, I would not put too much value on the results. Remember that static reading is ball park. 10 to 15% accuracy. I am more concerned with the charger charging too much. In fact I may get a timer to shut down charging as soon as I get a feel for how long it takes to get them up into the 90+ percent range. Bob

8. Member
    The voltage reading needs to be a static reading to be valid on the voltage chart. Not under load. As far as charging, until the batteries start with a lower state of charge, I would not put too much value on the results. Remember that static reading is ball park. 10 to 15% accuracy. I am more concerned with the charger charging too much. In fact I may get a timer to shut down charging as soon as I get a feel for how long it takes to get them up into the 90+ percent range. Bob
    I let the batteries charge for a little over 3 hrs. That's what I noticed the used battery went into maintenance mode and unplugged them. Checked voltage of both and the used was at 14.4v and by then, the unused was at 14.2.

Letting the batteries sit overnight. Just checked them and both batteries have settled at 14.0. On the little built-in LCD, it does show it at 100%, but from all the voltage values posted, that isn't truly the case.

I just ordered the Dual Pro with lithium profile.

Will have a practically brand new MK345PC for sale shortly. Or maybe keep it as a spare.....

For me, I will be charging my boat batteries with a little inverter generator. The amount of fuel will be my timer lol.

9. Moderator
    Which lithium profile did you have Dual Pro program? When I talked with them it seemed they had a slightly different charging profile depending on the battery mfg. I think all profiles are pretty much a straight 14.6V start to finish...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    The thread this picture is from is very informative about charging LFE batteries in general: https://www.granddesignowners.com/fo...me-Useful-Data
    Within that link is a youtube link of an interview with a couple battle born people(at least one is an engineer). It is a semi infomercial, but there is a bunch of good info there including a good description of why the manufacturer of the finished battery is critical with lithium. 20 min but if you want the info it is in there. Bob Note: It also addresses charging
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-14-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Note

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Which lithium profile did you have Dual Pro program? When I talked with them it seemed they had a slightly different charging profile depending on the battery mfg. I think all profiles are pretty much a straight 14.6V start to finish...
    I chose the Lithium Battery Company. I don't think they are too different to make a big difference. It's all just about voltage and amps.

12. Moderator
    According to GSL, they test and match cells like battleborn. All cells must be within 0.5% capacity/voltage in order to pass.

GSL also has a high temp and low temp cutoff.

Seems like more LFE industry standards that are not unique to battleborn...

13. Banned
    I have a business that uses lithium technology on a regular basis. I'm no expert but can tell you there is way more to this than price.

If you truly believe in this country and it's workers quit bypassing the system.

14. Member
    Just my 2 cents, but every lithium battery company in America bypassed the system. Lithiums are all made in China in the exact same region. American lithium companies are distributors not manufacturers. I have done a ton of research on them. Take a close look of the pictures of each lithium battery company's pictures of their manufacturing facilities and compare.

15. Member
    I believe the individual cells are what you mean. The batteries are assembled many places with varying standards for which cell they will use based on testing. The quality of the materials and components and the procedures used in assembly. Then there is the BMS. I am sure some asian assemblies are good. The warranty and availability of service is also important. Other countries have their own laws and may not put the same emphasis on the consumers side. If it is not illegal to buy them it is your prerogative to buy from anyone you want. I prefer USA made but I also get things made in asia(hard to avoid). Bob

16. Member
    I just got my Dual Pro in today. I hooked them up to my batteries. Dual Pro is showing 100% and in maintenance mode. Looks like I should have just kept my Minn Kota charger instead, lol. The Dual Pro is larger and much heavier. It also has a very short plug-in cord. I'm thinking maybe 2' if that. Unfortunately, not even all of it is usable since it exits out the backside of the unit.

*edit*

Interesting observation. I hooked up my air blower for about 1 min to each battery. And then started the charger. It did start charging but after a min or 2, it showed it was fully charged. The weird thing is, now my batteries are showing a lower voltage than what the Minn Kota left it at. It's showing 13.8v now.
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 03-26-2019 at 03:41 PM.

17. Member
    Over thinking. Till you actually drain them down to where you will normally it is not relevant. I am sure with the dual pro programmed you will have a good charge put on your batteries. Go fishing and the batteries will be fine. Where do you live? Is fishing season soon? Tomorrow will be my first trip this year!!! I am very ready. Did you get an onboard plug in port installed for that short cord? Bob
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCEQ&adurl=

18. Member
    Over thinking. Till you actually drain them down to where you will normally it is not relevant. I am sure with the dual pro programmed you will have a good charge put on your batteries. Go fishing and the batteries will be fine. Where do you live? Is fishing season soon? Tomorrow will be my first trip this year!!! I am very ready. Did you get an onboard plug in port installed for that short cord? Bob
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCEQ&adurl=
    I actually don't even have a boat yet lol. It's estimated 5-9 more weeks until arrival.

I tried to use a 24v volt bulb to drain the batteries. When I connected the negative wire to the prong onthe bulb, it sparked and I dropped the assembly lol. So that terminal end is a little burnt now. I might try it again but with a switch in place next time. Maybe.

I actually have 2 port ready to install. I got the NOCO one already. I went and got the Minn Kota port since it comes in white, which will blend in better. Even bought a special 1-3/4" hole saw for it. Well this MK port sucks with the Dual Pro plug. Not a good fit. So I'll be using the NOCO and I assume i'll have enough length. I wont know for sure until I get my boat. I also have no plans to install this on the transom like what the factory does. Seems too heavy for that location with just screws. Not to mention, the factory doesn't place any sort of barrier between the charger and aluminum hull/transom. I want to prevent electrolysis.

19. Member
    Follow the charger instructions. It would keep cooler with the metal contacting but if they say don't ground, do what they say. My minn kota is bolted to my aluminum and the Dual Pro I had before it smoked was in the same spot for 10 years.

20. Moderator
    I would stop experimenting like that until you can hook it up to a 24v trolling motor and give it a good, safe, test...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast