Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbass1 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what shipping would cost you.
    I was quoted $406 air freight for three.

2. Member
    I know this isn't a same comparison but I went cheap on replacement batteries for my Dewalt 20v tools once. They were like 80% less than the Dewalt brand . Two of the cheaper batteries caught fire right after heavy tool use and none of them had the same run time as the original. I inspected the batteries that caught fire they were made with thinner connecting plates between the cells. There are some cheaper replacements out there but it's hit or miss on finding good quality ones. Just like the tire issues of years passed.

For me, this would be to much of a risk for my expensive rig.

3. Moderator
    Doing more digging, I discovered that "The Lithium Battery Company" is the USA Branch of GSL Energy. Ish Monroe and Alton Jones have used these exact LiFePO4 cells for years (the 100AH version).

Alton's batteries: https://www.facebook.com/AltonJonesF...3697848178627/
    Ish had Lithium Battery Co but I think switched to Smart Battery lithiums.

Have Ish or Alton had any battery issues in the last 3-5 years?

I'm leaning more toward placing an order and seeing what happens. If I do, I will report back and update this thread with timing, total cost, etc.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Hoover Board!!!!
    I wouldn't run them in my boat, I would also be concerned with dealer support.
    Those are Lithium Polymer batteries not Lithium Ion Batteries.

5. Member
    I’m also in the process of placing an order direct from China.Most Lithium Ion Batteries are already coming from there already.I can get a 12v 100ah for my Optimax a 12v 20ah for my electronics and A 36v 60ah for my fortrex for about the same price as one 36v in US. Shipping is DH for $250.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    There are several manufactures on alibaba.com selling what appear to be legit deep cycle LiFePO4 batteries.

For example, here's a 12V 80ah for about $365 ea:
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...ddf4CGprEX&s=p
    https://www.gsl-energy.com/12v-80ah-...e-to-lead-acid

A battery with similar stats from Relion is over $1K ea.

Both batteries seem to have the same safety features and an 'advanced BMS' or battery management system.
    I've read that nearly all LiFePO4 cells originate from China anyways.

Why is Relion nearly 3X the price for similar technology?
    Does anyone know someone who's tried KS Energy or GSL Energy batteries?

With everyone and their cousin claiming to be a LiFePO4 dealer, and given the huge price differences globally, it seems to me there's an inflated margin and too many middle men in the US.
    I was quoted $365 for each battery plus a shipping cost of $316.30 for those batteries.

7. Member
    I'm seeing reports of not being able to wire these in series?

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    I'm seeing reports of not being able to wire these in series?
    Where? Any like-battery can be wired in series... Its not a limitation of LiFePO4. Would not recommended wiring different batteries in a series for anything more than a temporary solution.

9. Member
    Where? Any like-battery can be wired in series... Its not a limitation of LiFePO4. Would not recommended wiring different batteries in a series for anything more than a temporary solution.
    Not these specific batteries I should say. It might be dependent on the BMS maybe?

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/VPG12C-50L...ger_p_186.html

Saw it in a couple li-ion batteries on Amazon too. It was asked in the questions portion and rep said not to do it in series.
    https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Lithiu...031NHDF4XP9T5D

10. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Doing more digging, I discovered that "The Lithium Battery Company" is the USA Branch of GSL Energy. Ish Monroe and Alton Jones have used these exact LiFePO4 cells for years (the 100AH version).

Alton's batteries: https://www.facebook.com/AltonJonesF...3697848178627/
    Ish had Lithium Battery Co but I think switched to Smart Battery lithiums.

Have Ish or Alton had any battery issues in the last 3-5 years?

I'm leaning more toward placing an order and seeing what happens. If I do, I will report back and update this thread with timing, total cost, etc.
    Ish Monroe and Alton both stopped using these batteries several years ago after they had multiple issues. Ish is now running lithium pros and I'm not sure what Alton is using.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    Ish Monroe and Alton both stopped using these batteries several years ago after they had multiple issues. Ish is now running lithium pros and I'm not sure what Alton is using.
    Well that sucks.

I got a quote for these GSL Energy batteries.
    Two 12v 60ah for $257 ea, and $242 to ship to WA.
    Don't know about any imprt or tax duties.

Also, it has a 5 year warranty. Now actual support on the warranty process is questionable though lol.
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 02-09-2019 at 12:42 AM.

12. Member
    Well that sucks.

I got a quote for these GSL Energy batteries.
    Two 12v 60ah for $257 ea, and $242 to ship to WA.
    Don't know about any imprt or tax duties.

Also, it has a 5 year warranty. Now actual support on the warranty process is questionable though lol.
    FWIW, this is the HS code:8507600090 for these batteries.

13. Member
    Not these specific batteries I should say. It might be dependent on the BMS maybe?

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/VPG12C-50L...ger_p_186.html

Saw it in a couple li-ion batteries on Amazon too. It was asked in the questions portion and rep said not to do it in series.
    https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Lithiu...031NHDF4XP9T5D

Those Amazon batteries were on sale for $382 50ah and $688 100ah.
    Sat here and watched the timer tick down. Just couldnt bring myself to purchase.

Now their back to $449 and $811

One day i shall shave 150lbs!

14. Member
    Matthew Lardinios of Energized Outdoors posted on the Garmin ice fishing FB page a week ago that he has a 50ah battery coming out for less than $300. He said a 100ah battery is also in the works. A lot of guys with the Garmin panoptix live scope are buying his batteries to run their units while ice fishing.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    Matthew Lardinios of Energized Outdoors posted on the Garmin ice fishing FB page a week ago that he has a 50ah battery coming out for less than $300. He said a 100ah battery is also in the works. A lot of guys with the Garmin panoptix live scope are buying his batteries to run their units while ice fishing.
    I don't know who that is or have FB. Any word on if it can be ran in series for trolling motors or not?

I'm very tempted to order these Chinese 12v 60ah Lithiums from alibaba....

16. Member
    I have had 3 14volt green life 50amp lifepo4 batteries for about a year. They work great and have never run them down no matter how much trolling i have done including holding in current at Guntersville all day. Were expensive, but I often ran low on 3 group 31's and is really nice to never have to worry about that anymore.

17. Member
    I don't know who that is or have FB. Any word on if it can be ran in series for trolling motors or not?

I'm very tempted to order these Chinese 12v 60ah Lithiums from alibaba....
    I would contact the owner, he can tell you everything you need to know. https://energizedoutdoors.com/

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    I would contact the owner, he can tell you everything you need to know. https://energizedoutdoors.com/
    Looking at the battery cases of the smaller.ones, i suspect these are the same, if not similar Chinese batteries..... But yeah, if he can get 50ah for $300, sign me up.

19. Member
    Keep in mind, your Chinese batteries when they fail to get possible replacement it might cost to ship your battery back for determination if they qualify. Even if they cost 50% less you could be without a replacement for months. The 2 most important factors in LiFePO4 batteries is quality of assembly and the BMS. The individual cells are made in China but the inspection and testing to determine which ones should be used or are marginal is another factor. You are flying blind and have little recourse if you have a problem. If they are assembled here you stand a better chance of good and lasting batteries and US law on your side for warranty issues. I would buy quality AGM,s for the prices you are paying for your Asian adventure. My 2 cents. Bob

20. Member
    Welp, I just placed my order for 2 12v-60ah GSL Lithium batteries. It came out to $756. After the CC fee, it's at about $780. We shall see how they work out. I actually don't even have a boat at the moment, lol.

At best, they work out great for years to come. At worst, boat burns down in a fiery blast.... That's what insurance is for, lol.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast