Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PLEASE HELP - BATTERY CHARGING ON THE FLY

Ok here we go .....

I have a 2001 merc 200 efi. 1997 ranger 518. Im running 2blades, 2 hds 9 and 1 hds 12 . I have the back lights turned off btw.
    My question is - how can i charge my CRANKING battery throughout the day? This motor doesnt have an alternator. It just runs a stator off of the fly wheel - thus only giving my battery a trickle charge at best.

All of the auxillary charging systems that i have found so far are all for charging your TM batteries on the fly.

What ate my options ? - can i add an alternator to my outboard ? Is there a charging system i havent seen ?

Thanks for all of your help!!

2. Member
    Just get a small roll out solar charge mat.

3. Member
    Solar will probably be the best and maybe only option. You could mount it to the top of the motor and just run the wires to the battery or just put it on the back deck when your fishing

4. Member
    Is solar safe with AGM ?

5. Banned
    That motor has a charging system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    ^^^this^^^
    And it may need to be checked to see if it’s working properly. Having said that a fully charged 31 series battery should last all day. Let’s face it! I run to a spot, drop the trolling motor and I may never pull it out of the water until 6 or 8 hrs later. A 5 to 15 min run is not going to charge a battery up. So make sure your battery is good and that your running the correct wire size to the electronics!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I had a 2005 Mercury 60 4-stroke with a stator and it charged my main better. Still needed to be topped off at end of day though.

You could run a generator to charge your batteries when you're done. Once gas runs out, you're done. Adjust time of charge by how much gas you put in.

8. Member
    I used to have one of those systems. Unless you make longs runs (10 miles) multiple times per day, they just don't help. I would run a mile or two and see my battery meter tick up a few tenths of a volt, then an accessory would turn on and return it to the previous level in about 10 seconds. It was just providing a surface charge at that length of a run. I bet solar would do the same.

9. Member
    http://www.simonperformancetechnolog...lt/2.5alt.html

That's about the only option you have if they still make them.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Not going to happen without a major modification. EFIs with stators were never intended to keep up with that kind of electrical load, though the motor puts out far more than a trickle charge. The two windings give you 20A each.

Solar wouldn't be practical. To get even 10A out of a solar panel, it's going to have to be about 150W which means about 10 square feet of fragile panel in the boat.

The only practical answer is a large, deep-cycle house battery that you charge at home.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

11. mikesxpress

If it's not charging the battery you have other issues.

Charge on the run systems just don't get enough actual operation time to do much. That's why you don't see/hear much about them anymore.

12. mikesxpress

Charge on the run systems just don't get enough actual operation time to do much. That's why you don't see/hear much about them anymore.

13. Member
    The stator has charge bobbins and run bobbins. In 1990 my 2.0 (135hp) had a 35A output on the charge bobbins. I would expect yours to have that much or more. I would check the output voltage on the outboard while running and make sure the alternator was doing what it needed to do.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

I was thinking the same thing.. look at your rectifier Module that hangs under the stator (flywheel) inspect it if it has a bulge in the resin or plastic it's bad ..https://goo.gl/images/4LbyuD.
    Unless your running alot of graphs and run the engine throughout the day it should be doing it's job

Just an observation: The man is connected to the crankin battery. Has nothing to do with adequacy of charge-on-the-run systems which re-direct juice to tm batts once the crankin batt is full... So reference to same really has no bearing here. No need to confuse issues for the man.

16. Member
    Stealth 1 Chargers work but the gentleman may be right about needing to run a distance be truly effective. Short runs I have found don’t do much and idling makes no appreciable difference.
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.

17. Member
    Stealth 1 Chargers work but the gentleman may be right about needing to run a distance be truly effective. Short runs I have found don’t do much and idling makes no appreciable difference.
    designs, sometimes.

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVESWIMM View Post
    A Stealth charger could do nothing to charge a cranking battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

19. Member
    Stealth 1 has charging leads to both set of batteries.
    designs, sometimes.

20. Member
    Yamaha sho engines state a 50 amp alternator. That should charge a cranking battery.
    designs, sometimes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast