MinnKota Fortrex. .. Or Motorguide xi5

Looking for some advice on a choice. I have a Ranger R91 VS. with a HDS Gen 3 fish finder. Unless I should look at another one.

The Foretrex and XI5 are very different motors.
    The Foretrex compares to the X5, foot control cable steer.
    The XI5 compares to the Terrova, electric steer.

The Ultrex is a combination of both motor types.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

You mentioned that you have a Lowrance HDS Gen3. If you want to integrate the trolling motor and HDS unit, you will have to go with the Xi5. Minn Kota trolling motors (specific models) integrate with Humingbirds and Motor Guides (specific models) integrate with Lowrance.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    You mentioned that you have a Lowrance HDS Gen3. If you want to integrate the trolling motor and HDS unit, you will have to go with the Xi5. Minn Kota trolling motors (specific models) integrate with Humingbirds and Motor Guides (specific models) integrate with Lowrance.
    This. I have my Xi5 tied to my lowrance units. Xi5 is a very good TM and thge only problem I've had....and continue to have is at time when I'm on spotlock and the cruise set, it will go to max speed. it will eventually throw me out of the boat, but it hasn't yet.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

5. #FRB
    Honestly, after 2.5 years of using an Xi5 I'm happy to say it will be getting replaced with an Ultrex tonight when my buddy comes over to help me with it. I loved it for the spot lock feature but that damn thing developed a new quirk every trip. Maybe I damaged the board with a battery being bad from the time the battery was new, then my onboard charger taking out one of my batteries? Either way, it will be my spare because I sure can't sell a trolling motor this quirky. And the battery life monitor never once told me it was starving for juice the two times I had a battery dead as a door nail as half the 24v setup. And I never could get used to the foot pedal. It never acted quite the same from trip to trip and it has had several sets of batteries in it.

Now, if you're a crappie guy that sits on piles all the time the Xi5 might be OK for you. Reason I chose the Xi5 over the Terrova was because of it being compatible with Lowrance. Just realize that when taking advice from people about which trolling motor to get you have to know who you're talking to. If you like to beat the bank, fish tight to docks, etc you're way better off with a Fortrex or if you want gps assistance the Ultrex. If you want the trolling motor to link to your graphs sell the Lowrance and switch to Birds if there's no way to adapt Lowrance to the Ultrex.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.