Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Kayaks are Poor Fishing Boats.

I have owned a tandem, frenzy and (?) Ocean Kayaks.. They are fun and useful if you have a lake house, trailer (camping) or live in the city.. If you have a backyard or want a cheap Fishing boat- Buy a 14ft flat bottom(V-hull great- should be able to stand with stability) boat and trailer.. Kayaks are impossible to control with a little wind, It is hard to cast/retreive with a paddle across your legs, There is no room for tackle or other rods... The kayak moves constantly... Spend the $800 and split a nice fishing boat with a buddy.. Just my opinion...Kayak Fishing can be compared to eating a 4 course dinner on a Bar stool without a bar or table to set anything down.. Just having Fun and telling my experiences with a Kayak..

2. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Sorry, I disagree but then again I have a Hobie PA-14. It provides horizontal storage for 6 rods, pedal drive so no paddle to worry about and pretty much leaves hands free to fish, plenty or room on rear deck for tackle bag. I believe it is one of the best kayaks for fishing. It's big and heavy and you can't really car top the thing and the weight helps with wind issues. After fishing from it for the last 4 years there is no way I would consider replacing it with an alum. boat. A boat would mean room for passengers - another reason I love my kayak.

3. Member
    Drift chutes; stick anchors; skegs and rudders; pedals; anchor trolleys..all tools to help position a kayak. Too light of a yak can be an issue, too.

Try fishing for redfish in 4 inches of water in a Jon boat.

I own two tinnys. I have owned 5 kayaks.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have a bass boat for big water and a yak for prairie ponds. At some point I will just sell both of them and get a Hobie PA-14 for everything.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

I have a big boat and a kayak...love fishing out of both of them. Small Jon boats have their places too (and I've owned two of them) but you can't fish out them the same way you can out of a kayak. A small largemouth feels much bigger and harder to land when you're inches off the water and trying to maintain balance and position relative to the wind/shore/etc.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    P.S. - startling a 6' alligator while slipping quietly through the reeds along the banks of a Florida lake is far more exhillrating in a kayak than in a bass boat. I know, done it twice, and it's a good idea to have a change of underwear in a dry bag on board.

I throw a cast net out of my Native. I mean that must mean it's a little stable, right?
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

8. Member
    I own a big boat and kayak and I usually tend to catch my bigger fish on the yak.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

9. Member
    Re bigger fish...I agree.

I think that, when I fished from a yak, I concentrated on a small area. I really worked it over. I couldn't move around as I did on a power boat.

I know that the fish didn't know that I was there since, sometimes, I'd see them swim right beneath my lime-colored yak!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by verno769 View Post
    I own a big boat and kayak and I usually tend to catch my bigger fish on the yak.
    That's been my experience.

lol, nothing like stirring the pot about something you haven't the faintest clue about. Yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    lol, nothing like stirring the pot about something you haven't the faintest clue about. Yikes...
    That's what I thought...troll.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

13. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    Kayak Fishing can be compared to eating a 4 course dinner on a Bar stool without a bar or table to set anything down.. Just having Fun and telling my experiences with a Kayak..
    LOL!! I have a fishing kayak and can relate! After my first few frustrating trips where my wife heard me yell out the F word repeatedly, I've learned to use the wind and current to my advantage and have to look at weather and generation schedules more closely, but I get the OP's point.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

14. Member
    Yes, you quickly learn that 3 tackle boxes full of lures are not helpful nor necessary.

15. Member
    I own a bass boat , a Jon boat set up to bass fish and a kayak. They all have their place, and fish differently.
    Its something about padding along and fishing just seems more relaxing.

It's been a brutal winter for some ...
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    Get a custom gheenoe and forget about a yak (or whatever edgy, cool name you tend to use). Gheenoe can use a tiller handle trolling motor on the bow and up to 15 hp outboard on the back (depending on the model) casting deck front and back. Mine with two people, load with tackle trolling motor, batteries and fuel will run 18 mph all day (9.9 hp). With push pole 4 inches of water is easy.
    http://www.gheenoe.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Mullins057 View Post
    Get a custom gheenoe and forget about a yak (or whatever edgy, cool name you tend to use). Gheenoe can use a tiller handle trolling motor on the bow and up to 15 hp outboard on the back (depending on the model) casting deck front and back. Mine with two people, load with tackle trolling motor, batteries and fuel will run 18 mph all day (9.9 hp). With push pole 4 inches of water is easy.
    http://www.gheenoe.net/
    They're nice, but 130 lbs takes the one man / easily loaded into a vehicle aspect out of it, which is one of the main benefits of a yak in the first place. Kayaks aren't for everybody, there's plenty of small craft options out there
    Ranting incoherently

19. Member
    My kayak is a Hobie PA 12 and I can stand up and cast with my support bar. I can get to some places that I couldn't imagine taking my bass boat.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

20. Member
    I fish out of a Jackson Coosa FD and usually bring 9 rods with me and all the tackle I need. I also fish out of a bass boat, so I have a lot of tackle already that I would feel naked not having enough of in my kayak. The tournament scene for kayak fishing makes this type of fishing much better than the glitter rocket crowd's tournaments-it is a much better class of folks, in my experience. A whole lot fewer counterfeits and posers. I run two anchor wizards on my yak- front and back and will soon have the e-drive and lithium battery for it- hopefully by the NC in LA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast