Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Image quality help

These 2 images are from my 10 mega at the console and I believe they should be a lot better. Can a power wire from the battery cause this or would ot be my transducer? I have leveled it twice and still the same.

2. Member

My transducer location. Same location of my lowrance with good images.

3. Member
    Image looks really good, but sensitivity is on the high (hot) side. Is the right side of the boat a little shallower than the left?.... like leading up to the bank on the right and getting a little deeper on the left side?

Also, try different color palettes in different situations. You could also open up your chirp range to show more/different details... unless you have it narrowed down to not cross over into your di frequency range or something.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    I didn't see your transducer pic until after I posted. It would honestly get less disturbed water if it was down on the bottom step. But also make sure you are matching your screen speed to your boat speed. In your above pics, a screen speed of 2-3 would probably give the best pic. Try going 3-5mph with the screen speed on 4-5 and see if it's any different.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

If the bottom is flat at that location, your hull is leaning to the right and that side is getting more direct SI pulses, therefore stronger returns.
    It's the same effect as akaslyguy stated.

The MEGA frequency is very sensitive to depth differences from one side to the other.

If depth difference is not the issue, there is a SI offset to make up for the difference in piezo sensitivity between left and right.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    If you do a 180 and go back over the same area does the bright side switch? If not your transducer is probably canted(side to side). Bob

7. Member
    Both of those images are by the bank right side shallower and left getting deeper. My 12 on the front gives a lot better images but when put on the console in place of the 10 it doesn't look near as good. So wasn't sure if it could have been my power wire instead of transducer. I have leveled it twice with a level while on the water.

8. Member
    If you do a 180 does the bright side switch? If it is relatively level the shore side should be brighter in both directions. If so it is level with the water,(OK) just tone it down a bit to get good picks on both sides. Like has been pointed out color palette can be changed brightness and contrast manipulated. Up hill slopes reflect more signal as Wayne pointed out. Bob

To me those look really good. The other brands would kill for images like that.

10. Member
    I agree with Monte, any other brand Manufacturer would kill for images that good.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos4life View Post
    Both of those images are by the bank right side shallower and left getting deeper. My 12 on the front gives a lot better images but when put on the console in place of the 10 it doesn't look near as good. So wasn't sure if it could have been my power wire instead of transducer. I have leveled it twice with a level while on the water.
    Does your 10 look better when on the front? If you move a head unit from one position to another, and both positions are connected to the same type of transducer, you should expect very similar images. This is the procedure I followed to ensure a level install but I don't think that is your problem. Like others said, your image looks good but if there is a difference on both head units tested in both location, there must be some type of interference.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....890&highlight=

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Does your 10 look better when on the front? If you move a head unit from one position to another, and both positions are connected to the same type of transducer, you should expect very similar images. This is the procedure I followed to ensure a level install but I don't think that is your problem. Like others said, your image looks good but if there is a difference on both head units tested in both location, there must be some type of interference.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....890&highlight=
    I didn't think about moving my 10 to the front til after I left the lake. But I did move my 12 to the back and it didn't look near as good as it does on the front. I'll prob put a better wire from my battery to the unit first. I used a indoor house wire I believe a 12/2. My bow unit is a outdoor 12 or 14 wire but not sure if that could cause any issues.

13. Member
    There is no interference in your original pics. You need to tune it in a bit. Before you go changing a bunch of stuff. As for units being switched. Each unit has to be tuned each time you have a differing installation/transducer/wiring and a multitude of other possible differences. Swapping units can help with troubleshooting but there are limits. Adjust your units each time you swap or nothing of value will be gained. Comment: using house wire is not a good situation. If you do your own wiring you need to do some research. Marine wire is way different. House wire will corrode and cause problems. It is too stiff and will crack at the connections in no time at all. For the distance to the bow,#10 or bigger(#8) should be run. Use Marine connectors. Bob

14. Member
    Thanks for all the input guys.

15. Member
    Not sure where you guys are coming up with the notion that other brands would kill for images like this. What I see is a "typical" SI image with a very "clean" water column. Doesn't that suggest a very good transducer install? Don't want to start a testosterone war, but I believe I may have images this good taken years ago on my 997 and 998. This is what I consider a very good image posted by someone awhile back.

16. Member
    Nice shots posted above. I guess my thing is my 12 shows fish alot with fish shape shadows my 10 has yet to produce that. I also feel as I have to constantly try to make adjustments to the 10. Anytime I pressed the +/- button yesterday to adjust sensitivity my screen would go blurry like I was turning the sharpness from low to off.

That is my image Helix 10 Mega Si. Water to the right is much deeper.

Funny thing is this is TM mounted and TM is ON. If I turn TM off (but boat still moving) the image sucks.

I am more impressed with yours showing fish than mine showing rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by stratos4life View Post
    Nice shots posted above. I guess my thing is my 12 shows fish alot with fish shape shadows my 10 has yet to produce that. I also feel as I have to constantly try to make adjustments to the 10. Anytime I pressed the +/- button yesterday to adjust sensitivity my screen would go blurry like I was turning the sharpness from low to off.
    I see fish in both those images. There is a group of fish at the top left on the first image and there are fish on the left in the 2nd image. The sensitivity is a little too high to see fish on the right side.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    I see fish in both those images. There is a group of fish at the top left on the first image and there are fish on the left in the 2nd image. The sensitivity is a little too high to see fish on the right side.
    Yes I see fish as well maybe I just uad my expectations a little higher. My 12 looks better than this and my lowrance hds gen 2 looked as good as this. So wasn't sure if I had a power wire issue or transducer

20. Member

This is my 12 on trolling motor of a spillway and the other was on 800hz and went to mega right before getting to the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast