Touch Screen or Non Touch with Livescope

Any benefit or drawbacks to going touch screen or no-touch for Livescope? Does one or the other make it easier to use? Would be a Livescope only setup. Thanks.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    They both do the same, Touch screen will be easier to move around the settings and make adjustments.....i think it will come down to how much you want to spend and what size screen you want?? Why, cause the 9" Echomap Plus is touch screen only, then the GPSmap button style is a 10" & 12" then you have your upper tier units that are touch screen...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Scratch that thought

4. Member
    Overall I give the edge to touch screens. However, I think that the full capabilities of touch are not being exploited because it's so difficult to offer the same functionality through buttons. This extra functionality is mostly potential at this point, but there are some examples. Pinch-Zoom stands out. Also on-screen adjustments for range and gain have already been implemented on GPSMAP units. Touch the screen, they pop up. Leave them alone, they disappear. The ability of user configured selections of what settings to serve up this way has not been implemented. That's on my wish list. The Touch screens also provide more screen space within an overall smaller footprint. A first class implemention of touch with limited buttons is the Plus 93sv with the 4 favorite keys. Really, really handy. You can have the same thing as an extra cost item for the GPSMAP touch units by purchasing a GRID-20 remote. It works wired or wireless and allows for control of the screen without actually touching it. It has the 4 favorite keys on it as well as buttons for arrows, power, Home, Menu, Back and more, plus a rotary wheel providing extensive function.

The biggest disadvantage of touch is regular screen cleaning of fingerprints. I use 50-50 alcohol and distilled water.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    I prefer buttons - more 'positive' feel to me.
    But, it is hard to argue with features like pinch-zoom as it/they get
    so much use on my cell.

"... touch with limited buttons is the Plus 93sv with the 4 favorite keys ..."
    Sounds like the best of both worlds (as if livescope was not enough reason to get an sv93 plus.)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Overall I give the edge to touch screens. However, I think that the full capabilities of touch are not being exploited because it's so difficult to offer the same functionality through buttons. This extra functionality is mostly potential at this point, but there are some examples. Pinch-Zoom stands out. Also on-screen adjustments for range and gain have already been implemented on GPSMAP units. Touch the screen, they pop up. Leave them alone, they disappear. The ability of user configured selections of what settings to serve up this way has not been implemented. That's on my wish list. The Touch screens also provide more screen space within an overall smaller footprint. A first class implemention of touch with limited buttons is the Plus 93sv with the 4 favorite keys. Really, really handy. You can have the same thing as an extra cost item for the GPSMAP touch units by purchasing a GRID-20 remote. It works wired or wireless and allows for control of the screen without actually touching it. It has the 4 favorite keys on it as well as buttons for arrows, power, Home, Menu, Back and more, plus a rotary wheel providing extensive function.

The biggest disadvantage of touch is regular screen cleaning of fingerprints. I use 50-50 alcohol and distilled water.
    LWINCHESTER, I'm going back an forth on the touch / non-touch. I think I would prefer touch and have been looking at either the GPSMAP 1022 or GPSMAP 942 as they both offer the same screen resolution. I'm unable to quantify what the extra inch of the 1022 will make or if any at all. This will be used only as a Livescope unit.

I actually placed an order last night for the GPSMAP 1022 but am now questioning it as I want touch screen but not sure about giving up the 10 inch to 9 inch and staying in that same price range...I still have time to make a change if I need to though.
    Last edited by mastergun; 01-17-2019 at 06:53 AM.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I think you will be fine with the non touch.....to zoom (i believe), just turn the knob on unit......I would guess once you got the settings where you want them you wont be changing it.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    I went back to the buttons after some time using Lowrance's touch units just because of the lvs.

Of course it's not like touch, but the scroll button is very useful and gives a fast access to any function.

In my case it was a budget matter, but so far no regrets with my 1022xsv.
    Last edited by Hyglater; 01-18-2019 at 03:57 PM.

9. Member
    Finally convinced myself to stop second guessing myself and decided to stay with the 1022xsv. Thanks for the input.

10. Member
    I think you'll be fine. There's a lot of personal preference involved. When I first tried touch I didn't much like it but now it's grown on me. There's a lot of potential to optimize the user interface for touch but mostly we're not there yet. And you are focused on LiveScope specifically. I don't change a lot of settings on it. The once I change the most is the depth setting. When I'm in terrain that varies a lot I prefer a manual setting for the depth. I don't know that one has an advantage on that.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Thanks Lwinchester...I'm looking forward to getting it on the boat.

Also, let me shout out to MyGreenOutdoors, board sponsor. They were online at 10pm last night chatting with me as I worked through which options I wanted/needed in a display, gave me a great price and provided free overnight shipping. I will have the stuff tomorrow!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post

The finger prints on the screen of my 93SV drive me crazy. I bought a ClearTouch Antiglare screen protector by Boxwave off Amazon. It is like the ones used on cell phones and if does not get finger prints and it really cuts glare. I have a mount in my computer room beside my computer display and the lights in the room and other stuff glared a lot, not anymore. You can get them for several Garmin models.

13. Member
    D, does that affect touch performance at all?

Im thinking I could use it for portage trips in Canada if i end up keeping my 93

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    .......ClearTouch Antiglare screen protector by Boxwave off Amazon.
    Thank you. I didn't know about them. I'm interest for the additional scratch protection. Thanks again.