BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar

Woodworking guys - saw blade?

I’m installing a couple new solid core pre-hung oak doors, which I got prefinished. I need to cut one of the doors down to fit the RO I have to work with. I got about 1/2 of an inch into the cut with my 6-1/2 inch circular saw before deciding I didn’t have a fine enough blade. Ran over to my dads and borrowed his 7-1/4 inch saw with a fine blade but it’s dull enough it’s smoking. What should I end up getting? 40 tooth? 60? Something else?

Highest tooth count you can get ... in Kentucky and Georgia that’s 1 tooth .. not sure about PA

I also always tape my cut area .. all of it

3. Member
    If its brand new it'll work. You don't need a plywood blade or anything like that. As JERRY said... use painter's tape so it don't splinter,and so the table on the saw doesn't scratch the door.

4. Member
    60 or up. Tape as said and you can always clamp a straight edge if you don’t use a saw as much as a rod. Prefect every time.

5. Banned
    Put painters tape on the bottom of your circular saw to keep from scratching the surface, tape the surface you are cutting like JT said, get a new 24 tooth blade and go slow. You will use that blade more after the one cut than you ever will a 40. Make your cut on the the hinge side so it won't be seen as much as the strike side. That way your touch up of the stain won't be noticed as much either. You'll have to mortise the hnges, but that's simple.

6. Member
    Tape as said above. Finer tooth blade the better. You might also score the cut line w/ utility knife to prevent splintering back past cut line.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...s/circular-saw

Good tips here that would apply to any circ saw cuts you want to look good.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Highest tooth count you can get ... in Kentucky and Georgia that’s 1 tooth .. not sure about PA
    ..... What about Akry or Bama?

9. Member
    Freud Diablo. They're red in color, very thin kerf, and come in either framing or finish tooth count. Best blades they make in my opinion.
    2018 Xpress H20 Bay
    Got it finally! Pictures soon to come...

Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    ..... What about Akry or Bama?
    I didn’t want the post to drag out to long listing alll the states

24 tooth carbide should suffice. Tape the area your cutting and tape the bottom of your saw. Take your time, let the saw do it’s job

Cut the door faceside down. The side that will show most in other words. Less splintering.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post

I also always tape my cut area .. all of it
    I can get at my local big orange box either 40, 60, or a 140 osb blade. I taped after I saw the damage already

14. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    Put painters tape on the bottom of your circular saw to keep from scratching the surface, tape the surface you are cutting like JT said, get a new 24 tooth blade and go slow. You will use that blade more after the one cut than you ever will a 40. Make your cut on the the hinge side so it won't be seen as much as the strike side. That way your touch up of the stain won't be noticed as much either. You'll have to mortise the hnges, but that's simple.
    The blade I had was 18 tooth but it’s all but brand new.

I have 6 more doors to go after this, chances are the guy that owned this place cut them all to 79” instead of framing the doors right

I have no problem with spending $20 for a blade just for the doors. If it means not getting ripout on $$$$ hunks of wood.

15. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jham0077 View Post
    Freud Diablo. They're red in color, very thin kerf, and come in either framing or finish tooth count. Best blades they make in my opinion.

I’m down with the diablo. That’s what I bought for my miter saw when I was doing my hardwood flooring

16. Member
    60 tooth diablo.