Cranking battery question

I’m in the market for a new cranking battery. I’d love to go with lithium’s but just can’t afford them right now. I’m looking at optimas. I have a 2011 250 Pro Xs and running 2 carbon 12’s and a hds 10 at the moment. Plan on adding a live up front. Would a D34M be a good choice?

2. Member
    Look at the Northstar group 31 AGM. Heavy and expensive, but a BEAST!

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    I’m in the market for a new cranking battery. I’d love to go with lithium’s but just can’t afford them right now. I’m looking at optimas. I have a 2011 250 Pro Xs and running 2 carbon 12’s and a hds 10 at the moment. Plan on adding a live up front. Would a D34M be a good choice?
    No. Tiny capacity. You can get a better battery at half that price. Duracell AGM 31 at Sam’s Club
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I get a better deal on optima batteries than most. I can get that D34M for 194 out the door. Would the 31m be the better choice?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I get a better deal on optima batteries than most. I can get that D34M for 194 out the door. Would the 31m be the better choice?
    Yes. A 34 is smaller than a 24.
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    31 is a much better than the 34, just look at the specs. Believe it or not I have one in my garage that is an 06 and still working fine, had it in my Gambler for 7 years and never skipped a beat. Care to share in a pm where To get the great deal? I'm looking for maybe 4 of the 31

I seen where Edwin Evers runs 2 D34M batteries parallel I may try that not sure if they will both fit in a size 31 tray or not. I have 2 31M trolling batteries that are 6 years old there still going strong.

8. Member
    Sams club 31 AGM Durcells.
    They are $179.

about the best your going to get without jumping to a $500 odessey.

9. Member
    I got the Druacell Platinum AGM from Batteries plus for $239 with 10% off. It has a 30 month free replacement warranty.
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../sli31dtmagmdc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SethRstein View Post
    I got the Druacell Platinum AGM from Batteries plus for $239 with 10% off. It has a 30 month free replacement warranty.
    This is the identical battery to the Sam’s 31 AGM mentioned above. They are rebadged Deka/East Penn 8A31’s. Good alternative if you aren’t a Sam’s member. Very good battery and value, but shy if you have an Opti and use accessories like poles, graphs, livewells, etc.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

These are Lithium batteries that are made in China & shipped to the U.S. U.S. dealers charge 3 times the price these cost & are probably the same batteries. Now I don't know anything about these but they may be worth looking into. Can't hurt to check. When I need batteries, I will definitely look into these. Tired of paying $400-$500 for a AGM.

GSL-Engery.com. Don't know pricing on these, have to inquire on line for price.
    Lithium Battery 12V 80AH. $300-$485 at Alibaba.com
    This is the one I looked at: Alibaba.com
    Deep Cycle Lifepo4 12V 120ah Lithium Battery For RV/Solar System/Yacht/Golf Carts/Marine

One other thing.....Mercury says use only AGM cranking battery for the new 4 strokes. Has something to do with charging system I think. If you plan on running their 4 stroke & a lithium, check with Don Weed ( European Marine) on the Mercury 4 stroke forum. That's what I heard but may change in the future.
    Last edited by tracer1; 01-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Same battery at Sam's Club for $180. Sometimes on sale for $20 or so less. The warranty is only 18 months though. In probably 99% of cases, a warranty issue will show before 18 months.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbar View Post
    Stratos,
    You've also got to keep in mind that the Mercury Pro XS 250 requires 1000 cca.
    Only requires 800CCA.
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member

Shows up @ $299.99?

15. Member
    Go to Sam's Club and get the same battery for $179

16. Member
    Read Don Weeds post on battery requirements, I know the owners manual says 800cca, but Yuit need more with how much you are running

17. Member
    Thanks for info, looking for start battery also..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Read Don Weeds post on battery requirements, I know the owners manual says 800cca, but Yuit need more with how much you are running
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS. In an AGM, the Northstar/X2 from Batteries Plus mentioned above is a very high quality battery that far exceeds minimum requirements for an Opti. Sam's Duracell 31 just meets minimum requirements for the engine alone.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S