Pantera 2 gas tank

I’m starting to do serious research on getting a new bass boat. I’ve narrowed it down to either a Pantera 2 or Pantera Classic. (The Caracal is nice, but more than I’m willing to spend.)

Both the Pantera 2 and Pantera Classic have approximately 30 gallon gas tanks. Is the Pantera 2 available with the 10 gallon auxiliary tank still?

Any additional advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance. Can’t wait to be part of the Bass Cat Family.

I can’t imagine the 33 gallon talk not being sufficient for a days fishing. Most I ever burnt in a day was 17 gallons running all over the Kissimmee Chain
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    According to the 2018 brochure the 10 gallon kicker tank is still an option on the PII. Total of 43 gallons.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

4. Member
    Thank you guys. I guess I missed it in the latest online brochure. I doubt that I would ever need it. I’m just tying to think of all the differences between the two models. Then determine what I must have, or what I can live without.

5. Member
    Older Pantera's had about that much fuel (36) and mileage should be much better these days.

Honestly, with today's larger electronics that draw more power, I would stick with the single gas tank and use the additional space to add a dedicated electronics battery! Run your wires direct from that battery with inline fuses and you will not have any issues with a drained starting battery. And like others mentioned, the 33 gallon tank is way more than enough!

BTW - I love my Pantera II
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

7. Member
    The P2 with a 200 is a highly efficient rig, especially if you are cruising around 45-50 mph. You will go a long way.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I had a 2010 PII and a 200 ProXS with the 10 gallon kicker tank. For normal fishing, it is not needed. The ONLY time it was needed was in tournaments where there were long intial runs. The two where it was needed were on the St Johns river in FL where the launch was at Dead Lake and ran all the way to Dexter. The other was on the Red river in LA. The run to the bottom of Pool 4 is long 60ish miles with 2 locks.

Other than these two, the kicker tank was kind of a PITA. It takes up a lot of space too. I would not order one with it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Thanks guys!!! I will not calculate the extra gas tank as an advantage of the P2 over the Classic. I was thinking about a dedicated electronics battery. But I must have a 36 volt trolling motor (Lake Erie), and 5 batteries seem like a lot. Is anyone out there running 5 batteries on a P2 or a Classic?

10. Member
    Looking at your above post, and seeing that you fish Erie, got me thinking about your choice. The P2 would probably be a better boat to cut through the chop. But the larger front deck on the Classic should give you more stability as a platform in the rough stuff. if you only fish Erie occasionally, then the choice should be easier.

As far as batteries, you should not need a fifth house battery if you opt for a very high quality 31 AGM like a Northstar/Batteries Plus X2 or an Oddysey 2150. I know that 5 batteries in my P2 would be a real squeeze, if doable at all without somehow re-configuring or building a bridge in there. I only have 3 batteries, but, an oil tank, and I am assuming that you will be four stroke, so no tank. Be sure you get the charger upgrade to MK so you will have no charging issues with the better AGM's.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    I only fish Erie 10 to 15 times a year. I need to actually look around both boats. I’ve seen the P2, but never the Classic. My last boat was a Gambler. Fast, but not an Erie boat.

12. Member
    2007 pantera 2. 200 opti
    I can run 150 miles on less than 33 gallons. Not sure how much you need but that covers an awful lot of ground!

13. Member
    I've never had to use the kicker tank. I fill it from time to time just in case. I'm sure in my area it would help a lot for resale as we do make some long runs.

14. Member
    I don’t plan on any long runs. So no tank for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Older Pantera's had about that much fuel (36) and mileage should be much better these days.
    Not sure how much "older" you are referring to but my 88 P2 has dual 26 gallon tanks.
    1988 Basscat Pantera 2 / 1988 Mariner 200 #0B348072 / 1986 Mercury Blackmax 200 #0B116913
    US Navy veteran

16. Member
    I have new p2 with the extra tank. With a 200 4 stroke it just doesnt use any gas and I have my foot in it all the time.