Boat Registration Question

Was curious what division of Alabama Government is in charge of registering boats and if anyone had contact information for that office?

I am planning on buying a boat from Alabama and live in Wisconsin. Wisconsin requires a title for boat, motor and trailer.....since Alabama does not require this the state of Wisconsin requires a note from the state of Alabama on their official letterhead stating that "Alabama does not require a title for boat, motor and trailer to register boats".

I have tried contacting a few different places with ZERO luck.

Thanks!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    Alabama does require a title on the boat trailer if I recall correctly but ironically does not require a license plate.
    Not complaining about not having to buy a license tag for the trailer though.

You should be able to get what you need from the DMV in the city/county in Alabama where the boat is registered.

That is who I tried contacting without aby response unfortunately.

4. Member
    Get a copy the registration form from the potential seller and go from there. Every year you have to renew boat registration just like a car tag.
    No title is required for boats in the State of Alabama. If it is a used boat, a bill of sale and the last boat registration certificate is required. No title is required for boats in the State of Alabama. State, County, and/or Municipal sales taxes may be due when registered.
    How do I get a title for a boat in Alabama?
    To register your boat, take the following items to your nearest county probate judge OR license commissioner:

• A completed Application for Boat Registration, Transfer & Replacement.
    • The completed bill of sale.
    • The last-issued registration, if registering a used boat.
    • Proof of paid sales tax.

5. Member
    I'm guessing this is a previously owned boat and assuming you want to register it in Wisconson.... One state I moved to took the certificate of origin with the current registration, when I moved, granted it was a transfer as we were original owners.
    I would try either the marine patrol division or the probate office in the county in which is registered. When I moved from AL to a different state I believe I went to the probate office and got documentation.

thanks all!

Yes, this is a used boat...buyer is second owner but has all the original Mfg Certificate of Origin for boat, motor and trailer even! Buuut according to WI I can bring in previous registration card, MFQ cert of origin for all three but will still need a letter from the state of Alabama (on their official letterhead) stating that Alabama does not title boats......what a PITA......I will keep calling/emailing the local DMV office where the boat is currently located.

Update...Finally got a hold of the right person at the DMV and am getting the correct paperwork in order.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    Update...Finally got a hold of the right person at the DMV and am getting the correct paperwork in order.
    Glad you were successful. We moved over 8 times in the course of 27 years(with boats), it sometimes felt like every state seemed to title/register differently and it sometimes felt like you were the first person who has purchased a boat/trailer/car from a different state or wants to transfer said title/registration to a different state. Patience and persistance, have more paperwork than you could possibly need, and as grandma used to say, 'you attract more flies with honey than vinegar'.
    Enjoy your new boat!