Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    the first generation MB Launcher will not handle 10xd's but the 2nd generation Launchers will.
    This is correct. The second generation XX Launcher is a deep crank bait fans dream. It'll go from a 6XD to the 10XD and not skip a beat. It won't handle as light a bait as the first generation XX Launcher, but for real deep cranking, it's excellent.

Thanks everyone for ths great insight.... i have a month or two here before i will actually be cranking much, but have narrowed it down to a Dobyns Champion 805cb, Megabass Launcher, and have been hearing good things about a St Croix Magnum Cranker(if i could find one)

Nothing wrong with the 805, and I am sure that Megabass rod fishes well too.

I'm strongly considering a St Croix Legend Glass, it's in the same price range as the others, carries a five year warranty and is made in the USA. I have a St Croix glass crankbait spinning rod for throwing lightweight cranks and I really like it. It's not a soft action fiberglass, fishes more like a composite.
    Last edited by Quillback; 01-19-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: None

Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    Thanks everyone for ths great insight.... i have a month or two here before i will actually be cranking much, but have narrowed it down to a Dobyns Champion 805cb, Megabass Launcher, and have been hearing good things about a St Croix Magnum Cranker(if i could find one)
    That 805CB RM was designed specifically to fish DD22's and the like.

5. Member

which to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    This is correct. The second generation XX Launcher is a deep crank bait fans dream. It'll go from a 6XD to the 10XD and not skip a beat. It won't handle as light a bait as the first-generation XX Launcher, but for real deep cranking, it's excellent.
    Hey Gary, getting into some 5xd and 6xd cranking, with zero intention of the 8xd or 10xd sizes. Have a Dobyns 805cbRM but not happy with that short handle (it's a long rod for me at 5'6 but want that extra distance a 7'6 won't provide). I was considering the newer, F6 OrochiXX 7'11 Launcher, but wondering if it's overkill for the 6XD sized cranks? Getting older with a sore back so making an easier job than otherwise of pulling even that 6XD as pain-free as possible if that OrochiXX doesn't also provide me some buffer in that area as well (making it easier to crank vs. a rod rated to 1 1/4 oz. which handles the 6xd in its upper-most end?). I also have a 7'6 Shimano Zodias glass composite which I played with last week and believe it will be a good rod for the 6xd but want a 7'11/8'0 rod for what I'm guessing to be somewhat longer of a cast.

Hi Bruce - good to see you on Bass Boat Central!

I use the XX Launcher as my go to, general purpose deep cranking rod. I throw the Megabass Deep Six and the 6XD on it and it handles those baits very nicely. The 5XD is on the lower end of its effective range, but it still works well for them without being entirely overpowering.

7. Member
    late to the party, but being a 6th Sense fan, I went with the 150 dollar Lux 8ft Cranking stick that Milliken uses. You can cast it a mile. 6th Sense Fishing - Lux Rod 8'0" Heavy, Mod Fast
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

8. Member
    The new Magnum cranker from St.Croix is a sweet rod will do from a DT 14 and those deeps to the 8XD C 20 and Zboss 22. When you get into those C 25 Zboss 24 and 25 and 10XD definitely need to go up in power

805CB RM
    It's one of the few Crank rods that I own 2 of them
    It saves the your wrists, Bends were it should great rod for DD22's, dt16 or dt20's
    And not to be over looked I love that the handle is the same length as my other crank rods
    So many heavier crank rods have a long handle. I get some people tuck the rod under there arm
    I reel at the waist, I hate hitting my waist or thigh

10. Scraps
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    The Abu Garcia Winch lineup of rods are some of the most under rated/under appreciated rods in their lineup. I've got a few and am impressed with them.

12. Member
    I've been throwing a MHX CB905 7'6" and absolutely love it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Megabass Orochi XX Launcher
    +1
    08 21XRD

14. Member
    Dixie sticks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12