Question Steadycast Heading sensor

Hello again, I am looking for reviews on the steadycast heading sensor for echomap 9s chirp sv. I have problems with the GPS that comes with the unit updating too slow. I is very hard to go to a way point and actually get close to where you want to be. Will adding Steadycast help this lag or is it just more accurate. If you have input, good or bad I would love to hear. Would hate to buy install and then be disappointed.

2. Member
    What you need is a Garmin 19x GPS Antenna/Receiver. The GPS inside the Echomaps update at 5Hz whereas the 19x updates at 10Hz. It makes hitting waypoints a lot easier because the boat icon responds as soon as you turn the steering wheel. When using the internal GPS inside the unit there is a two or three second delay from the time you turn the wheel until the icon responds. That delay would cause me to overcorrect when I was trying to go right over top of a waypoint. With the 19x hitting waypoints is a piece of cake.

The Garmin Steadycast is a Heading Sensor. The GPS inside the Echomap only knows when the boat is moving but really doesn't know which way the boat is oriented. If you're stationary, like when fishing waypoints and your boat starts to drift backwards or sideways your boat icon will turn in the direction that you're drifting. When this happens, the picture you're seeing on the screen is not really where your waypoint is in relation to the boat. With the Steadycast the boat icon always shows an accurate representation of which way the bow is actually pointing. Hope this makes sense.

I installed both on my boat and they are an awesome combination!
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    Thanks Pipercub that make a lot of since to me. Now the question is whether to get the nema 0183 or the 2000? I am leaning toward the 2000, just because I have a echomap chirp 93sv That is not able to network with anything else should I decide to upgrade in the future, Anybody have any preference?

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I dont see where you have a choice of 0183 or 2000 but IF thats the case i'd go with the 2000 and have it on a network in the event you get another unit.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    Thanks Pipercub that make a lot of since to me. Now the question is whether to get the nema 0183 or the 2000? I am leaning toward the 2000, just because I have a echomap chirp 93sv That is not able to network with anything else should I decide to upgrade in the future, Anybody have any preference?
    I installed NMEA 2000 on my boat and it works flawlessly.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    Hello again, I am looking for reviews on the steadycast heading sensor for echomap 9s chirp sv. I have problems with the GPS that comes with the unit updating too slow. I is very hard to go to a way point and actually get close to where you want to be. Will adding Steadycast help this lag or is it just more accurate. If you have input, good or bad I would love to hear. Would hate to buy install and then be disappointed.

Consider both. I asked a similar questions over the summer. The 19X is GPS "only", no heading sensor. The Steadycast is only heading sensor, no GPS. The 19X will get you accurate distance to the waypoint and quickly update as you close in while the steadycast will help you determine in what direction your boat is facing relative to the waypoint as your boat lists around. I have found the steadycast to be exceptionally helpful fishing isolated submerged structure with no visible point of reference above water.

edit: I have not purchased a 19x yet. only running the steadycast on the plus 93sv.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

7. Member
    irovencher80,
    Thanks for the input, looks like I now need to make a decision. Got some pondering to do.

8. Member
    I know for some that the exact location of a waypoint seems critical. So much so that regardless of the accuracy of the GPS in the unit, an equivalent or better external one is needed and where it is mounted on the boat is also a factor. That's not my kind of fishing. I just use waypoints to get close. A boat length, even two is plenty close enough. Whether I use the waypoint to mark some kind of structure or where I have caught fish doesn't really matter. I label them Bxx, Cxx, Wxx for bass, crappie or walleye or otherwise for structure. If I stop to fish and I've not already marked them on sonar, I'll search the area with Panoptix/LiveScope. Fish move around. The exact spot I caught them yesterday may not work for today. Even a crappie tree. Lots of times I will find them away from the tree a couple of hundred feet but still in the area.

The heading sensor is very useful to me. I like to stay oriented.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.