Banned

So why the V6/V8 horsepower difference across SeaPro/ProXS/FourStroke models?

Was looking at engine specs yesterday
    SeaPro - 200HP V6, 225HP V8
    ProXS - 175HP V6, 200HP V8, 225 V8
    FourStroke -
    175HP V6, 200HP V6, 225HP V6

WHY?, seems a little dishonest.
    Last edited by bossbowman; 01-16-2019 at 09:24 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You've left out the 4th version of the Fourstrokes- the Verado Line.

Fourstroke, Verado, ProXS, and SeaPro versions each with their own target use and market.

And in reality- that statement is really simplifying the versions. Example: There are over 100 unique 250hp Fourstroke Models in the current lineup.

More info on the various lines is available at: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You've left out the 4th version of the Fourstrokes- the Verado Line.

Fourstroke, Verado, ProXS, and SeaPro versions each with their own target use and market.

And in reality- that statement is really simplifying the versions. Example: There are over 100 unique 250hp Fourstroke Models in the current lineup.

More info on the various lines is available at: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/
    I left the Verado out because the horsepowers its available in are all V8's in the other versions as well...

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Was looking at engine specs yesterday
    SeaPro - 200HP V6, 225HP V8
    ProXS - 175HP V6, 200HP V8, 225 V8
    FourStroke -
    175HP V6, 200HP V6, 225HP V6

WHY?, seems a little dishonest.
    Is it dishonest for boat builders to produce so many different types of hulls to attach those motors to? Mercury designed many different models to fit many different applications. If the V8 200 doesn’t work for your pontoon boat, stick the V6 200 on. If you want the added torque of a V8 225 for your crab boat, it’s available. It also makes it easier on Mercury and their dealers to stock parts that are common across many different engines.

Interesting... Dishonest? I could agree with slightly confusing.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    I imagine Mercury is offering a 200HP model in a V8 to compete with Yamaha's V6 4.2L 200hp VMAX. The V6 3.4L 200HP Mercury will certainly out perform Yamaha's I4 2.8L 200HP, but it probably would of had a hard time competing with Yamaha V6 4.2L 200HP VMAX. Certainly a smart choice for Mercury...

7. Banned
    edit

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Interesting... Dishonest? I could agree with slightly confusing.
    OK maybe my wording could have been better but its odd for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    OK maybe my wording could have been better but its odd for sure...
    Yeah, nothing dishonest about any of that. Different uses cases require different solutions. The ProXS is typically aimed at producing highest top speeds. So, it would seem to make sense to only have the higher HP models in V8s so they don't have to work as hard to get that HP. The Fourstroke line may be intended for those who don't necessarily want to spend most of their time at WOT and max speed so they can get that with a V6. So, maybe it only seems confusing because you don't understand the needs of the different classes of users. I know I don't.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Banned

So say I have a 19' bass boat thats rated for a 200, what difference would I notice in the 4 stroke V6 200 vs. the pro xs V8 200, and what is the price difference? And just out of curiousity what about the 200 seapro?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would notice that the ProXS had better torque and better performance, as it's better suited to a 19' bass boat.

The SeaPro is not at all suitable for the application as it's intended use is commercial (work) applications.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Banned
    You would notice that the ProXS had better torque and better performance,
    I would thinks so since its a V8 instead of a V6 200. I'm no speed demon so the V6 may suffice any idea on price difference between the two?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to discuss pricing with your selling dealer (both out of fairness, and to make sure you're comparing the same "apples and oranges".... as there are MANY, MANY models at play).