89 bass cat wiring

Got a 89 bass cat that I am installing a 12v terrova on. I have looked at the front panel and it has a rocker switch that has run, charge and 12/24 on it. Went inside the panel and found 2 sets of main wires running from back of boat. I am planning on hooking the trolling motor to 2 batteries to get the extra reserve time. What breaker do I need, where to put it, do I need to leave the short stop breakers in line and if so are they needed on both batteries and where at ?
    thanks

2. Member
    Disconnect the charge / run switch. Wire the plug directly to the 4 wires that are on the junction block. Wire red to red and black to black, then place a jumper from one red to the other red and from one black to the other black. With this wiring, you will need a breaker of appropriate size on both the positive wires at the battery.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Disconnect the charge / run switch. Wire the plug directly to the 4 wires that are on the junction block. Wire red to red and black to black, then place a jumper from one red to the other red and from one black to the other black. With this wiring, you will need a breaker of appropriate size on both the positive wires at the battery.
    If I hook the batteries in parallel could I just hook to one set of wires at the junction and get by with only one breaker at the batteries and if so what breaker or disconnect would you recommend ( I do plan on getting an onboard charger )
    Thanks for the help

4. Member
    If you connect in parallel at the batteries, you can breaker the positive wire going to the front, however, the other positive/negative would need to be disconnected and just laid in the boat. If you have any positive wire going to the front, it should have a breaker on it. The advice I gave you before is connecting them in parallel, it's just doing it at the junction strip instead of at the batteries.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]