Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for the pig hunters

I’ve had plenty of wild pig from Texas.... I had some back straps from a Florida pig tonight. It was much better. The Florida pig was a 100lbs and I’ve had many Texas pigs from 100 and down. The Texas pigs always had a slight gamey taste and were much leaner. With the florid pig, I couldn’t tell the difference between that and store bought besides being a bit tough.

Whats the deal? I assume it’s the better diet. I’m there nking about dropping the hammer of some Florida pigs....

2. Banned
    Were these Texas pigs Javelina or feral hogs?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Were these Texas pigs Javelina or feral hogs?
    Feral hogs from uvalde, fort hood, and ranches in central Texas.

4. Banned
    I’m not sure on the answer, you might get a better answer in the Texas boards. I’m guessing it’s prob the diet of the hogs. My family has some land and they’ve killed over 500 hogs in 10 years. Some are patheticly skinny and some are fat. I’m not a fan of wild hog, so I don’t eat them. Maybe Florida has better vegation for them to nibble on? I know cows can taste mighty differently depending on their diet, hogs are bound to be the same way.

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Probably a LOT to do with how they were taken care of after the kill...

Good table fare, no matter the species, begins the moment that animal hits the ground.
    Who controls John Gill?

We shot several on our deer lease a couple of weekends ago and they have been delicious. I smoked some last weekend and it tasted better than store bought and had no gamey taste at all. I’ve heard the boars don’t taste as good as a sow.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    We shot several on our deer lease a couple of weekends ago and they have been delicious. I smoked some last weekend and it tasted better than store bought and had no gamey taste at all. I’ve heard the boars don’t taste as good as a sow.
    Apparently these crazy sobs in Florida will trap the males, nut them, release them and then let em grow. Apparently the big ones taste good after that. In Texas, we didn’t eat em after 80-100lbs.

Pretty much everything over 100 lbs. is a crap shoot on how they taste. We bury anything over that anymore.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I know with deer it depends on their diet. Shoot a whitetail around here where it has been feeding mostly on alalfa, corn and beans, then shoot one in the Sandhills of Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Probably a LOT to do with how they were taken care of after the kill...

Good table fare, no matter the species, begins the moment that animal hits the ground.
    This is very true.........having run a check station 75% have no clue how the gut a deer......lots of dumb wifestails.....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fistacuffs View Post
    Apparently these crazy sobs in Florida will trap the males, nut them, release them and then let em grow. Apparently the big ones taste good after that. In Texas, we didn’t eat em after 80-100lbs.
    I know somebody who dog hunts for them and does what you're talking about. They catch em, hog tie them, cut their nuts off, take a couple pictures, then let em go! I've never been hunting with him but he says the release is the craziest part. They have to climb up trees and stuff to stop from getting attacked. Seems like he always has a dog getting killed or seriously injured too.

Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    I know somebody who dog hunts for them and does what you're talking about. They catch em, hog tie them, cut their nuts off, take a couple pictures, then let em go! I've never been hunting with him but he says the release is the craziest part. They have to climb up trees and stuff to stop from getting attacked. Seems like he always has a dog getting killed or seriously injured too.
    Sounds like a reasonable reaction on the pig’s part!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fistacuffs View Post
    I’ve had plenty of wild pig from Texas.... I had some back straps from a Florida pig tonight. It was much better. The Florida pig was a 100lbs and I’ve had many Texas pigs from 100 and down. The Texas pigs always had a slight gamey taste and were much leaner. With the florid pig, I couldn’t tell the difference between that and store bought besides being a bit tough.

Whats the deal? I assume it’s the better diet. I’m there nking about dropping the hammer of some Florida pigs....
    I want to hunt a couple pigs down here too. Are you going on a guided hunt or public land?

14. Member
    Like stated before it has a lot to do with handling after the kill. I hog hunt with dogs as well. What I always do is after we kill them we gut them as soon as possible and after I skin them I will bleed mine out in an ice chest full of ice and water for a couple days swapping the water and ice out every day.
    Phillipians 4:13 I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    When I hunted them in SC that is kind of what the group I hunted with would do...if it was a female they would kill it once bayed...if it was a male they would hog tie it and drag it out of the woods....one dude had a pen at his house and they would keep the males there to train the dogs and would butcher them after awhile

16. Member
    We season our pigs with brucellosis, it's very good.
    Actually, it's 100% diet. We have good eats here.
    Cuban food beats Mexican food any day of the week.

17. Member
    Probably something the Texas pigs have been feeding on other than corn and vice versa.

18. Member
    Cinnamon is great for masking a slightly Gamey taste. Proper care does have alot to do with it as well. And area. Our southern Ohio deer do not taste like our central Ohio grain fed deer. The harsher the winters the worst our southern deer taste. ( pine needle consumption I assume) also I’ve noticed a significant difference in taste in the hang time. Longer they cure the sweeter the meat. Oh you said pigs..same only different

Here is a thought for some enterprising BBCer!!! Uncle Josh shuttered the pork trailer operation due to commercial hides being too thin and not enough fat (thank you accelerated growth practices!!).. Someone should look into producing pork trailers, ala the old #11 style, out of feral hog hides. Unlimited supply and generally much tougher!

20. Member
    You mentioned "Feral hogs from uvalde, fort hood, and ranches in central Texas." There's mainly cactus and lots of sage brush out that way which can cause bitterness.

Go more to east Texas where's there more water / plants and St. Augustine lawns for them to chew on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast