Adding a hook keeper

I'm adding a hook keeper to a few rods. I have the thread and epoxy (I'm using a one part epoxy) but I don't have a rod dryer, what is the best way to apply the epoxy for this without the ability to keep it spinning while it dries?

Thanks,

Robert

2. Member
    The simple option is just cut some V's in some blocks of wood, so the rod can rest horizontally. Once you are ready to finish, apply a initial VERY thin coat of epoxy, just so the threads soak it in, set a timer and rotate it 90 deg every 10 or 15 minutes for at least a couple hours. After that, flipping it 180 every half hour or so should be just fine.

Once it's dry the next day, repeat the process with a finish coat. It may not be perfect, but it will work. This is the way I did it when I first started building rods and I assure you the fish can't tell if there is a drip.

3. Member
    I'm curious what epoxy you're using? Otherwise ..... what School Master said ^^^

I used 2 part epoxy, the 5 minute variety, and thin it with a little denatured alcohol. I apply it with a throw away hobby paint brush. Once I apply it, I lay the rod horizontal to dry. I’ve never had a run or drip, even though I don’t use a rod turner.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I'm curious what epoxy you're using? Otherwise ..... what School Master said ^^^
    This: http://www.mudhole.com/ThreadMaster-...art-Rod-Finish

Threadmaster One Part Rod Finish

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    This: http://www.mudhole.com/ThreadMaster-...art-Rod-Finish

Threadmaster One Part Rod Finish
    This stuff can be finicky, I bring it with me now with a little kit of thread and such for repairs. It's replaced Sally Hard as Nails but just barely better. Anyway, you'll need to do at least 2 coats. The first coat should just soak the threads with no buildup, second coat (and 3rd if need be) should be on the thinner side too. Put the bottle in a cup of warm water before you use it. I squirt it in a little tinfoil cup (or the bottom of a beer can) and apply with a brush. Don't use a flame to get rid of the bubbles. It actually sets up pretty quick, you can add a second coat after 4 or 5 hours.

Cutting a V in two sides of a cardboard box is easier than making a wood stand too.

7. Member
    Rotating a rod is pretty important if you epoxy anything. You can't find an old rotisserie motor from an outdoor grill? You can make a rod holder from a chair rubber leg protector, run a screw through it into a wood dowell put it over the rod end and stick it into the grill motor. Lay the rod on a vee block with some thick cloth or felt in the vee.

8. Member
    Variable speed drill locked on with a piece of wire.