Banned

Huminbird Sonar Interference by Trolling Motor

I have a Humminbird 858c Hd Di that I've been trying to correct a bad interference concern from my Huminbird 858c HD Di unit when in the sonar mode for some time now. I've got the down image transducer for this unit mounted to the motor assembly of the MinnKota. The symptoms of the interference only occurs when I press the foot pedal energizing the switch no matter what the speed settings is at. As soon as I step off the pedal switch the interference is gone. there has got to be a fix for this concern?

This thread is a good discussion of interference
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=952182

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Heelman99 View Post
    I have a Humminbird 858c Hd Di that I've been trying to correct a bad interference concern from my Huminbird 858c HD Di unit when in the sonar mode for some time now. I've got the down image transducer for this unit mounted to the motor assembly of the MinnKota. The symptoms of the interference only occurs when I press the foot pedal energizing the switch no matter what the speed settings is at. As soon as I step off the pedal switch the interference is gone. there has got to be a fix for this concern?
    Are you using the proper DI transducer for a trolling motor application, a trolling motor puck?
    XTM 9 DI 25 T
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Banned
    Yes Wayne I am using the transducer that came with the 858. I have installed this transducer as instructed by a certified Humminbird tech.

5. Member
    Usually the "one that came with the unit" is not the best transducer for mounting on a trolling motor. There is a trolling motor specific puck for that application that has better shielding built in for that purpose. Using that transducer would be the best start to resolving interference, if you don't already have it.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    This is the one that Wayne is refering to. It does not come with the units, but when you purchase a new unit, Humminbird either still has or did have a transducer swap where you could send the old transducer in and get the correct one. However, the 858 is old enough it isn't going to qualify for the swap, but if you have this transducer someone may have swapped when the unit was new.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    This is the one that Wayne is refering to. It does not come with the units, but when you purchase a new unit, Humminbird either still has or did have a transducer swap where you could send the old transducer in and get the correct one.
    I was just recently wondering if HB still does the swap on the new units?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    I was just recently wondering if HB still does the swap on the new units?
    Yes, new transducers, unused, and unopened mount package.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes, new transducers, unused, and unopened mount package.
    Nice. Thanks

Of course, Canada is usually an exception
    Last edited by catdude28; 01-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Banned
    Mr Jones or whom ever, what are the part numbers of the transducer developed by HB that would work correctly with my HB 858c HD DI?

11. Member
    Mr Jones or whom ever, what are the part numbers of the transducer developed by HB that would work correctly with my HB 858c HD DI?
    TM version of a transducer does not ensure clean operation. Many sources for RFI.

For trolling motor mounting:
    I stated one of them in post #3. That one is tuned to the same 2D frequencies as the transom DI transducer.

The other one is tuned to 83/200 kHz 2D sonar and is XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T. The unit setting for it is DI 83/200 kHz.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    TM version of a transducer does not ensure clean operation. Many sources for RFI.
    That is true, BUT you have to start with the proper one for the application.
    The trolling motor DI pucks have extra internal shielding to help with possible RFI issues. The transom DI transducer does not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    That is true, BUT you have to start with the proper one for the application.
    The trolling motor DI pucks have extra internal shielding to help with possible RFI issues. The transom DI transducer does not.
    Definitely agree

15. Banned
    Hey guys I am on a fixed income and just can't go around throwing $150 for a transducer that I really don't know it will solve my 100% interference concern. I have done updates, routed trolling motor cables and Humminbird cables down opposite sides of boat hull, installed ferrite ring, installed new power cable from HB, checked for fuse in TM control head(none found), checked for any damage on any wires and repaired. Reset HB 858cHD DI unit noise setting to max 3 setting and going to check system on the water tomorrow.

16. Member
    I'm curious if your tranducer cable is wrapped around the trolling motor cable going from the foot control to the head of the unit? My HB was doing the same thing and I had wrapped the tranducer cable around the TM cable. Once I took it off and ran it to the TM mount and straight down the TM shaft that corrected it. Hope this helps.

17. Banned
    DougH, the transducer cable isn't wrapped around any cables at all. The TM power cable was wrapped around the cables from the foot pedal of the TM to the TM motor assembly that is all. Now I have the new Humminbird transducer, item XTM 9DI 25 T , to be used on my HB 858c HD DI unit. As suggested by Wayne and Jones TM. Hope to receive the transducer Tuesday then check how it improves HB performance and controls interference.

DougH, the transducer cable isn't wrapped around any cables at all. The TM power cable was wrapped around the cables from the foot pedal of the TM to the TM motor assembly that is all. Now I have the new Humminbird transducer, item XTM 9DI 25 T , to be used on my HB 858c HD DI unit. As suggested by Wayne and Jones TM. Hope to receive the transducer Tuesday then check how it improves HB performance and controls interference.

There will not be any better “performance”, it is no different than the transom transducer for Sonar, Imaging and Temp.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Banned
    I investigated original transducer and cable to find outer cable insulation damaged so I got XTM 9DI 25 T ordered and expected delivery on Thursday. Once mounted and installed to 858c HD DI unit will go check out the difference, Got a Transducer Shield & Saver ordered also. Now for the air temps to warm some and no rain to set into the area.