Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

North Fork SJ732 X ray

Anyone have any experience with the X ray SJ732? I'm looking to build a drop shot rod to replace the one I built on an NFC DS6107 IM. I'm particularly interested in what kind of backbone the SJ732 has. The DS6107 pretty much doesn't have one lol

I appreciate any information shared.

Thanks !!!

2. Member
    I'm waiting on one to come in. I imagine itll be stiffer than the x ray ds 732 which I also ordered. Whichever one I dont keep i have a buddy interested in. I suspect itll be very close to the 733. I will say that the 733 I put together feels amazing and I'd be inclined to build a drop shot rod on it if you're looking for back bone, but a soft tip. It's going to be my go to tube rod
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Yeah for that price I just ordered a MH blank to see what all the talk is about. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

4. Member
    Josh, thanks much for the feedback, I definitely appreciate it. I thought about the 733 but wasn't sure. That DS6107 has me a little leery. I compared the listed dimensions of the MB733 with those of the SJ732, and I gotta feeling you're going to be right when you say it will probably be very close to the 733. I know it's gotta have more backbone than the DS6107 lol

Again, thanks for the feedback.

5. Member
    Just out of curiosity, how long have you guys been waiting for your NCF shipments. I ordered 5 blanks on 12/18 and haven't heard anything. My last order from them which was just some Weibe reel seats took over a month and my last blank order took almost 3 mos. When they showed up I had actually forgot that I ordered them.

6. Member
    i ordered on 12/17 and 12/27 and got both in about 2 - 3 weeks
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

7. Member
    I've ordered 3 from them, only one of them went over 3 weeks, and that was just barely over. I've read the horror stories here and on Rodbuilding.org. I don't blame some people for saying never again, but I guess I've been lucky.

8. Member
    Fyi I asked NFC which rod they recommended for my application (1/8 oz tubes, ned rigs, drop shots) and they said the xray drop shot. They said the sj is closer to the 733 with a little less butt power
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

been watching their facebook page and comments ranging from 3-4 weeks to a couple months. They are claiming they've got the christmas backup done now and should be moving faster but it sounds like a theme for them. Oh well I'm not in a hurry.

10. Member
    Just an update - I fished both the ds 721 and spin jig 732 rods today - the 721 rod is going to be my 1/8 oz tube a d ned head rod - not much power to it. The 732 is a damn fine hair jig rod for 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs. Plenty of tip flex to launch a jig, and a solid butt section - my buddy was trying it out and landed a 10 lb walleye on it. The 732 does have a bit more tip springiness than the x ray 733. It flat out launches a bait with just a flick of the wrist, whereas the 733 casts more traditionally of it loading up.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

11. Member
    Tomorrow will make 4 weeks since I ordered 2 blanks. Not a word from them as far as shipping notifications. I ordered a MB 736-1(X-Ray LMX) and a SJ 736-1(X-Ray LMX). Hopefully I hear something this week about them shipping.

12. Member
    I ordered 2 deltas Dec 17 and have not recieved them yet...
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

13. Member
    I've ordered 7 blanks and none took longer than 3 weeks.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

I haven't used the x-ray version, but did build a drop shot rod on the IM version of the SJ762 and cut it down to 7'3". The specs are identical to the SJ732 X-ray aside from being 3 inches longer.

It's just about perfect for me, though a buddy handled it and said he thought it was too light. There have only been a few times I've felt like it was too light (got a 4 lber buried in the weeds once, for example, and struggled getting it out...also didn't break it off, so there's that!), but overall have been very pleased. It's different than other rods I've used where I often felt they were too heavy if that makes sense - I think a lot of production drop shot rods are too heavy, especially those in lower price ranges.

I primarily throw 1/4 oz drop shot weights. It handles 1/8 great. I've thrown 3/8 on it before and it works, but you wouldn't want to go any heavier than that. So it really depends on what you want. I personally would jump at the X-ray SJ732 if it were me building another one, and I honestly may do that if they run another sale like they had before Christmas. Take all that for what it's worth.

As for shipping delays, I had my first order take a while (driven by an ice rod blank I ordered as part of a larger order that delayed things) then my second order, a MB7108 X-ray, was there in a week. I think it really just depends.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I ordered my MB 736-1 the first or second week of January and it came last week.

16. Member
    Good deal that means mine may be close to being shipped.

17. Member
    I didn't get my last shipment until I sent an email telling them I wanted to cancel the order. Ordered Dec 18 and it showed up Feb 4

18. Member
    December 17 I ordered and still no show..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    Just an update - I fished both the ds 721 and spin jig 732 rods today - the 721 rod is going to be my 1/8 oz tube a d ned head rod - not much power to it. The 732 is a damn fine hair jig rod for 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs. Plenty of tip flex to launch a jig, and a solid butt section - my buddy was trying it out and landed a 10 lb walleye on it. The 732 does have a bit more tip springiness than the x ray 733. It flat out launches a bait with just a flick of the wrist, whereas the 733 casts more traditionally of it loading up.
    SJ are generally a bit faster than the MB, with a touch to two touches more power. Are you saying the SJ loads and casts smaller baits with greater ease?

20. Member
    Hope mine shows soon. Ordered 3 12/9 and nada. No response to voice or email. I’d be happy just making contact with a live being.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast