Thread: Tri Tip steak

Tri Tip steak

Picked up a couple of these at Sam's yesterday. Going to freeze one, and probably cook the other Friday night. Thinking about doing a reverse sear on the Egg, either marinading it until Friday or just doing a basic S&P / Garlic rub down. Any other recommendation, I should try instead?

2. Member
    Out here in the west, hot grill with a decent cut of fat on the bottom. Salt, pepper, garlic. That's it. The leftovers make for great sandwiches the next day.

I generally just use cracked pepper and maybe garlic powder (not salt) . Onto a hot grill to no more than medium rare. Meat candy!

4. Member
    Interesting you just throw it straight onto a hot grill. To me, it's the perfect thickness for a reverse sear. Slow cooked at 250, then seared for 2 mins each side.

5. Member
    Tri-tips should be cooked hot and fast as it's a cut of sirloin and very lean. I cook them on my pellet grill set at 300° till the IT is 123°. Let them rest in a cooler/cambro for 15 min. and it's a perfect med-rare with one nice thick slice of rare in the middle for me.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Use a meat tenderizer on it prior to cooking