Thread: prop advice

prop advice

Hey guys,

I have a 21ft Gator Trax with a 300R (1E080626). Right now it has a 25p Fury 3 on it and im only seeing about 6000K rpms now that I put my windshield on. Before that I was seeing almost 6300K. Speed has gone down from about 77 to 74 or so. Im guessing I may need to drop pitch on the prop I just dont know how to go about figuring it out. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vince

https://ibb.co/1bmVskD
    Last edited by vjohn05; 01-16-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Theoretically one number change in pitch up or down should result in about a 300 rpm swing.

3. Banned
    Was it an instant change after the windshield was installed or did you maybe hit something with the prop? The MercAlloy material that Fury’s are made with is susceptible to being damaged fairly easily with very little impact. It’s not always easy to see a bend that will affect performance. We see this quite often on Furys with our customers in south Louisiana.

If you are certain the windshield caused the performance loss, remove it and run again to confirm. If so, try to get a 24p Fury from a friend to try. Propping can get expensive, fast.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
    Was it an instant change after the windshield was installed or did you maybe hit something with the prop? The MercAlloy material that Fury’s are made with is susceptible to being damaged fairly easily with very little impact. It’s not always easy to see a bend that will affect performance. We see this quite often on Furys with our customers in south Louisiana.

If you are certain the windshield caused the performance loss, remove it and run again to confirm. If so, try to get a 24p Fury from a friend to try. Propping can get expensive, fast.
    Thanks for the help. I def tapped a couple of sticks but I dont think anything that would bend he prop. Ill try taking the windshield off before doing anything else though. Do you know anyone down here that will let you trade or test props before you buy?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update your thread with the Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and update your thread with the Required Info. Thanks!
    Everything needed to answer his question was provided.

Can I ask why you are so hung up on having a serial number posted? What difference would it make in this case given the info the OP has posted? Keeping in mind you are not the only person viewing/responding, or maybe not even the person the question is primarily directed at, how does that in any way affect the average person responding to his post? If the OP was looking for a detailed answer from you specifically, could they not simply PM you the serial number? If you feel you require a serial number to give an answer, could you simply not respond to those that don't post a serial number?

I've been biting my tongue about this for quite a while now because I didn't want to make waves. I'm just really curious as to why the fixation on serial numbers on a public forum, that's something I'd be very reluctant to post, for numerous reasons, whether they're valid or not. It's not required in the other manufacturer's sections, so I'm not sure why it's a requirement in this section, and exactly who it's supposed to be benefiting...

Waxy

7. Member
    My bad Don. I didn't think the serial number was necessary for my question but ill make sure to include it in all questions going forward. I have updated my original post.

Thanks,
    Vince

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is there any possibility that the throttle or cable were disturbed, disconnected, etc. while the windshield was being installed?

From the picture, that definitely is a nice air-brake (hard to say it would equate to "x" RPM's, however).

Check your Fury to make sure it does not have ANY damage, whatsoever. Even the slightest blade damage can cost a good bit of performance as it can alter the blade geometry mid-blade.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Is there any possibility that the throttle or cable were disturbed, disconnected, etc. while the windshield was being installed?

From the picture, that definitely is a nice air-brake (hard to say it would equate to "x" RPM's, however).

Check your Fury to make sure it does not have ANY damage, whatsoever. Even the slightest blade damage can cost a good bit of performance as it can alter the blade geometry mid-blade.
    I def didn’t touch the throttle when I installed the windshield. I’m gonna go over the prop real good but I’m pretty sure there is no damage unless it’s something you can’t see. I guess I’m gonna have to just run it without the windshield to know for sure. It’s was just a PIA to put it on.