1997 Evinrude 115 hp speeds up to wide open at idle

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 1998 ( not a 1997 as is in the title) Evinrude 115 model #E115SLECM & serial #G04411305 on a 17' Aquasport boat that when I put the boat in the water and start the engine and let it warm up a bit before we go out of the harbor all of a sudden the speed of the engine will increase without me touching any thing and continue to go up past 7000 rpm. I try turning the key off, but it continues running. the only way I can get it to stop is choke it off. I know this sounds crazy but it has happened the last 3 times we have tried to take the boat out. I have asked a few people about this and they all say this can't happen. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by jabbaT; 01-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Welcome aboard ...there is a ton of knowledge on this forum. Someone will be along that will help you diagnose the problem. There is a few techs that frequent the boards and in order to make their job more easy they need information. Read this post and it will help you ask your question in a way that better informs the techs...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=3454

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pull off the engine cover, and remove the 4 rubber straps off of the air box. Look down the carb throats and look at the throttle plates. Sounds like you have something stuck either cable or timing linkage arm. What you are experiencing is called runaway and that is the only way to kill the motor by choking it out. once spark is achieved and RPMs increased thats it unless you have a kill board that shuts off the air to them motor.

Check these pictures of the linkages. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790