Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jig Rod - 3/8 to 1/2

Looking for a jig rod to throw football jigs in the 3/8 to 1/2 size. If the rod can't handle both, I would lean more towards the 1/2 size. Would probably throw some texas rigs during the summer on the same rod. Any suggestions in the $200 - $300 range. Looked at Megasbass but I am not as familiar with their ratings. But I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks

2. Member
    How deep of water are you going to be fishing?

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    For Megabass I think you want a "6" or "7" power for 1/2 oz jigs. At your price point in Megabass, you have the 6 power Tour Versatile or the 7 power Perfect Pitch in either the Levante or Orochi XX lineups. I suspect 99% of Megabass rod fans would take the Perfect Pitch every day. Not only will it take care of your jigs and is an awesome frog rod as well.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Save little bit more money and get the NRX 873CCR

It's my bottom contact and I can feel the bass fart on it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    How deep of water are you going to be fishing?
    Mainly 10-20 feet. Kentucky Lake on the south end.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    For Megabass I think you want a "6" or "7" power for 1/2 oz jigs. At your price point in Megabass, you have the 6 power Tour Versatile or the 7 power Perfect Pitch in either the Levante or Orochi XX lineups. I suspect 99% of Megabass rod fans would take the Perfect Pitch every day. Not only will it take care of your jigs and is an awesome frog rod as well.

Is the perfect pitch a pretty stout rod? In its ability to be used as a frog rod, I would assume so. Would it be to strong for a 3/8 jig?

7. Member
    Alpha Angler Zilla. Perfect for what you describe, I own 3 of them.

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    Is the perfect pitch a pretty stout rod? In its ability to be used as a frog rod, I would assume so. Would it be to strong for a 3/8 jig?
    No it's not considering your 3/8 jig with a trailer probably makes it closer to 1/2 oz but you stated you would lean towards 1/2 oz. The XX Perfect Pitch has an amazing tip which makes it an extremely versatile rod.

I tend to use NRX and GLX 3 and 4 power rods for 3/8 to 1/2 oz bottom contact stuff but they aren't really in your stated price range. But if I want to grind a 3/4 oz swinghead along the bottom in 15-20 ft of water like I'm doing now at Toledo Bend, I use my XX PP.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    No it's not considering your 3/8 jig with a trailer probably makes it closer to 1/2 oz but you stated you would lean towards 1/2 oz. The XX Perfect Pitch has an amazing tip which makes it an extremely versatile rod.

I tend to use NRX and GLX 3 and 4 power rods for 3/8 to 1/2 oz bottom contact stuff but they aren't really in your stated price range. But if I want to grind a 3/4 oz swinghead along the bottom in 15-20 ft of water like I'm doing now at Toledo Bend, I use my XX PP.

Perfect. Thanks. You and CBBurke above are gonna make my bank account lighter with this NRX talk.

10. Member
    You could go Destroyer FMJ which is a 7'1 or a Destroyer Valdivia which is a 7'6. Since someone brought up NRX can't leave out the Destroyers at $399 price point then

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    Perfect. Thanks. You and CBBurke above are gonna make my bank account lighter with this NRX talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    You could go Destroyer FMJ which is a 7'1 or a Destroyer Valdivia which is a 7'6. Since someone brought up NRX can't leave out the Destroyers at $399 price point then
    My next bottom contact rod will likely be an FMJ.

I'll wager that getting a Megabass rod will make you much lighter in the wallet than getting an NRX. It didn't take me long to go from taking Mark Perry's suggestion and getting an XX Perfect Pitch to try as a frog rod to now having 7 Megabass rods.....
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 01-15-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Kistler KLX 7' 3" Heavy Mod-Fast has been my go to 3/8 - 1/2 oz jig rod for 4 years now. It's probably one of my favorite rods. It's built on an North Fork Composites blank produced by Gary Loomis.

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fis...l#.XD5AhlxKiUk

13. Member
    fmj

14. Member
    Helium 3 Medium Heavy, super sensitive rod for the money!

15. Member
    I like the 7’4” MH Helium 3 for dragging those baits. To me it’s between the 893 and 894 NRX in power.

16. Member
    Another vote for MH Helium 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VaZ518 View Post
    I like the 7’4” MH Helium 3 for dragging those baits. To me it’s between the 893 and 894 NRX in power.
    The 7' 4" MH Xfast Helium 3 is nowhere near powerful enough to drag 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs and get a good hookset. I use that rod to throw smallie beavers with a 1/4 oz tungsten for smallmouth in my local rivers.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    The 7' 4" MH Xfast Helium 3 is nowhere near powerful enough to drag 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs and get a good hookset. I use that rod to throw smallie beavers with a 1/4 oz tungsten for smallmouth in my local rivers.
    To each his own I guess. Works great for me.

19. Member
    I use my H3 7’4 MH for 3/8 oz jigs. No issues either. May feel a bit underpowered with a 1/2 oz jig and trailer but I wouldn’t put it out of the rods wheelhouse.

Not sure how getting a good hoosket dragging a jig would differ from a hookset needed for a Texas rigged beaver? To me they are both bottom contact apps.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    I use my H3 7’4 MH for 3/8 oz jigs. No issues either. May feel a bit underpowered with a 1/2 oz jig and trailer but I wouldn’t put it out of the rods wheelhouse.

Not sure how getting a good hoosket dragging a jig would differ from a hookset needed for a Texas rigged beaver? To me they are both bottom contact apps.
    Pretty straightforward actually. Moving a bulky bait (1/2 oz jig) inside the mouth of a bass, and pushing through a weed guard and stout jig hook will always need more power (backbone) than a thin wire 2/0 ewg hook with a small plastic bait on it. Its even more important in deeper water when your fishing straight fluorocarbon that has some stretch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast