Spark plug question. In general how often?

I do not have serial number handy. But I have a 2006 model year 225 PRO XS. It only has 215 hours on it. I had the plugs replaced at 120 hours. I was going to have the dealer replace when I have my water pump done. The manual says inspect and replace as necessary after the first 100 hours. Does everyone replace the plugs at every 100 hours? Somewhat pricey to get this done. However just looking for best practices.

Thanks

Richard

2. Banned
    I checked mine every yr for 10 years. the tenth yr I replaced them along with all coils and plug wires. No issues with those components but figured I got my $ worth out of them.

3. Member
    Yearly is the "best" practice.......

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yearly is the "best" practice.......
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

In my last OptiMax I changed the sparkplugs yearly.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

6. Member
    I have been doing mine yearly at the time I winterize. Not cheap, but it also starts about as fast as you can let go of the button.

7. Scraps
    I do it in the spring after i run any left over gas out. That way I gunk up plugs that are already spent. I sort of question the yearly cuzz I had an OMC Fucht and did not have to change plugs annually and saw no degradation in performance. On the other hand i am amazed at how much carbon is on my plugs when I change them and only have 53hrs on my motor and run the cocktail in every tank.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    I change mine every 10 years whether they need it or not! LOL, just teasing, every year is a great idea.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See FAQ Section- Factory Recommended interval is Once Per Year (365 days) or every 100 Hours of Operation, whichever occurs FIRST.

For most, that's every 364.99 days.

Richard- good idea to add your serial number to your phone, or to your Signature so it's always there for future use.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor