G-2 Steering help needed

Have a brand new 300 G-2 and took the maiden voyage Thursday. Motor when in the vertical position can be moved by hand (side to side) with very little effort, it moves 4"-5" so a LOT!
    Dealer said it is electric and if the key is not on it does that but witht he key on it stops. So I turned the key on and there is no change.
    The boat is dangerously squirrelly when under power.

Things I know;
    >If it is electric steering why is one of the the tubes going into the motor labeled SeaStar?
    > The dealer has been a Mercury dealer until recently so Evinrude is new to him.
    > The dealer rigged the engine, not the boat MFG

Yeah that's not right. It should have less than 15 mm of play. Key position should be off. My guess is they didn't power purge the hydraulic lines... or if they did, they didn't do it right.

It's hydraulic from steering wheel to the DPS manifold in the midsection of the motor.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take it back! Something isn't correct in the rigging, the hydraulic steering needs to be power purged, I'd contact BRP right away and see if there is another dealer near by. This is all part of the PDI that the dealer performs.

Yeah. Call BRP.

My shop went through the G2 learning curve with my motor. Wasn't a lot of fun for me.

1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

That could be a dangerous situation and your dealer should remedy the situation right away. If you have any problems with the dealer you can contact Evinrude by email and include the serial number and the dealer name. http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    Not all G2s are electric. Mine is hydraulic and has a lot of movement. But my problem was and still is when under power you can’t hardly turn the steering wheel. And sometimes coming out of the hole it will lock down going left and I have to shut it down.
    Been at the shop for a while now. Hopefully they are getting close.

7. Member
    I had issues learning how to drive my G2 on a 520L with the regular hydraulic steering also, especially coming from my previous Pro XS, a totally different animal. While learning that these engines do not like to ride high on the jack plate and not trimmed too high either, I can handle it with a much easier steering effort. I have a Atlas hydraulic plate and run it no higher than 6 on the gauge and the trim is around 65-75% max. It's amazing how much torque these engines have! I'm also running a Raker HO 26P prop. Great hole shot and so far 72.6 GPS with just me onboard, 68-69 with tournament load. Not bad for a Ranger with a stock prop!