Thread: Lake Gatson

Semper Fi

2. Member
    Could someone please explain this to me. My mom has had a house on the lake for a year and a half now and seen very confused about the water flow. I was originally told that Kerr is a flood control lake and flood pool is at 320. I was also told that Gaston should stay between 199.5 and 201. IN the last week Gaston has seen the highest water level of the year while Kerr went from close to 310 to currently 299 in the past 2 weeks or so.

When you call the number for the flow and I correct that the Gaston generation is the dam between Kerr and Gaston? And the Roanoke Rapids generation is the dam between Gaston and Roanoke rapids? The reason I ask is almost everytime I fish I call the hotline and here lately both have been running about the same CFS. So in my tiny mind I am thinking the water is flowing like a river water level should stay close to the same. The same amount of water is coming in as the water going out. I love to fish certain spots when there is some good current . But sometimes water is coming in and sometimes it is going out.

Please help me better understand.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

No Jinx, the Gaston dam is between Gaston and RR lake, and the RR DAM IS AT THE END OF RR lake at the Roanoke River. We have been at, or just above 201 the last several days. High water conditions in the lower river are preventing any additiona discharge, however, they should be holding more water in Kerr.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBassr View Post
    No Jinx, the Gaston dam is between Gaston and RR lake, and the RR DAM IS AT THE END OF RR lake at the Roanoke River. We have been at, or just above 201 the last several days. High water conditions in the lower river are preventing any additiona discharge, however, they should be holding more water in Kerr.

Thanks for the explanation, but that brings on a few more questions... What do they call the dam between Kerr and Gaston? Also how do you find out if water is being dumped into Gaston from Kerr? The hotline numbe i have is only for Roanoke Rapids and Gaston.

Thanks for your help
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, but that brings on a few more questions... What do they call the dam between Kerr and Gaston? Also how do you find out if water is being dumped into Gaston from Kerr? The hotline numbe i have is only for Roanoke Rapids and Gaston.

Thanks for your help
    Kerr dam...434 738 6371

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Kerr dam...434 738 6371
    Thank you sir.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    At 0600 this morning Kerr is @ 299.00 and muddy to very stained.

8. Member
    I know Gaston has been very stained to muddy for 2 months now. I want it to clear up so I can throw my Jerkbaits.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx