Winter Warm trips

Thinking of sun and fun helps get through cloudy, snow and 13 degrees. Really helps my wife’s attitude when we talk and she moans about winter. We are headed to Palm Desert in 4 weeks for a golf trip.
    where are you headed or been to lately?
    watching Kapalua on TV got me fired up again.

I would have never thought you get those temps and snow being in OK.
    We went to Florida over Christmas to see family. I golfed 1 day. Nothing exciting as the course was average.
    The funny thing was I golfed with a friend of 30 years who moved down there about 6 years ago and we were saying in all the years we have golfed together that it was the first time we didn't have beers golfing. Course was a dry course! We didn't know that until we showed up.
    We made up for it afterwards though.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

3. Member
    How does that course make money and keep cute cart girls employed?
    Never heard of that, ever.
    i keep thinking Florida is the place to land after work is over to golf and fish. But making a big move away from family is somewhat of an issue. Sure sounds good though.

It was a municipal course. We never heard of a course not having beer either but yet we stayed. It wasn't really crowded so they might have a cart girl but maybe on weekends.

My wife is really pushing to move to Florida to be closer to her parents (but mainly for the weather). We have been kicking around the idea for a few years now. At first our son who just turned 10 wasn't on board as he loves the snow and cold weather but now he said he can live where ever we want. He just started swimming 2 years ago and is on the swim team so he knows he can swim all year long outside if we were to buy a house with a pool. That trumps the cold and snow.
    My parents are 2 hrs north were we currently live now so we'd leave one set to go to the other set.

5. Member
    Sounds like you are almost there. Bet the other set will visit you in Florida!

6. Member
    I'm lucky in that my wife is an avid golfer (and a pretty good player) also. We live in NJ and it seems like the winters just keep getting longer. We don't have kids, so we've sort of made an annual mid-winter getaway part of out plan every year. Last year we went to Streamsong in Florida, and I doubt we'll ever go anywhere else in the winter ever again. That place is incredible. We're going back this year (late Feb) and I spend way too much of my time thinking (daydreaming) about it.

Seems relevant to the BBC forum that while I'm there, I'm taking 3 hours for some guided bass fishing.

Here is a video they put out back in 2017, right before they opened the third 18 hole course on the property.

ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

Zerocool, what is it costing you to play there?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    Zerocool, what is it costing you to play there?
    We're all in about $4k for a 5 day trip that includes daily breakfast and 6 rounds of golf (2 of us playing each of the three courses). That doesn't include the rest of our meals or the fishing trip, but (I don't say this about many things) it's worth every penny. This is obviously their peak season.

Along with the three 18 hole courses by some of the greatest architects in golf today, there is an incredible practice facility and 7 hole par 3 course that you have to see to believe. The Red and Blue courses share a clubhouse. The Black course is on a different part of the 17000 acre site and has it's own clubhouse. The bar/restaurant in there is tremendous. Just outside that bar is a 2 acre putting green with an 18 hole putting course "The Gauntlet".

Here's a video from a golf travel series that really shows what it's like. https://nolayingup.com/2017/12/07/vi...de-streamsong/ They were there just after the third course opened.

Here is the resort website that shows pricing/packages. http://www.streamsongresort.com
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    We're all in about $4k for a 5 day trip that includes daily breakfast and 6 rounds of golf (2 of us playing each of the three courses). That doesn't include the rest of our meals or the fishing trip, but (I don't say this about many things) it's worth every penny. This is obviously their peak season.

Along with the three 18 hole courses by some of the greatest architects in golf today, there is an incredible practice facility and 7 hole par 3 course that you have to see to believe. The Red and Blue courses share a clubhouse. The Black course is on a different part of the 17000 acre site and has it's own clubhouse. The bar/restaurant in there is tremendous. Just outside that bar is a 2 acre putting green with an 18 hole putting course "The Gauntlet".

Here's a video from a golf travel series that really shows what it's like. https://nolayingup.com/2017/12/07/vi...de-streamsong/ They were there just after the third course opened.

Here is the resort website that shows pricing/packages. http://www.streamsongresort.com
    very cool looking courses. Lot’s of water!My wife loves to play as well so I have the X2 cost factor. A winter getaway is a must though and well worth it. thanks for sharing your favorite pick. I think we may have to give it a try soon.

we are headed to play La Quinta courses, PGA West etc. it sure looked good on tv last week! Except the huge sand trap on 16 and island green on 17!

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated when you go next month on your trip.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    Thanks for the info. Keep us updated when you go next month on your trip.
    Arrived today in time to play the par three course and a quick round around the the putting course ("the Gauntlet"). Had a nice casual dinner in the Bone Valley Tavern in the Black clubhouse, then checked in/settled in to the room in the lodge.

Tomorrow we'll have breakfast in the clubhouse at the Red/Blue before we play the Blue course by Tom Doak. The Blue is full of drama and risk/reward options. It's a tiny little bit unfair as a resort course because there are shots that you would definitely have played differently if you had the local knowledge of the green contours, or why it made sense to play up one side or the other when facing a centerline bunker. On the other hand, those are the kinds of things that make you want to come back and take another crack at it.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

12. Member
    I just left Streamsong a few hours ago and I am more convinced than ever that there is no place else I'd rather be in the winter. The golf is as good as it can possibly be, and the fishing this morning was phenomenal. Non-stop bites for three straight hours.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

I just left Streamsong a few hours ago and I am more convinced than ever that there is no place else I'd rather be in the winter. The golf is as good as it can possibly be, and the fishing this morning was phenomenal. Non-stop bites for three straight hours.