Thread: Margay layout

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Tons of room in that center box! I generally keep 12 rods in there, several Plano boxes, some Falcon bags stuffed with 12+ packs of baits each, an extra PFD. I could put more rods in there, without using the buttholders.

I, too, have gotten caught in a hail storm and used the box for shelter. I’m not a dainty man.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

I've had my eye on the Margay for a long time. This confirms it for me. It will be my next boat paired with a Mercury 150 Pro XS.

3. Member
    I just need to see one in person. I need to find one somewhere around East TN. I know a member posted awhile back he had one around Knoxville.

4. Member
    Skyline Marine in Wilkesboro, NC brought a Margay to the Raleigh Bass and Saltwater Expo. They don't show it on their website. You might want to give them a call to see if they have it in stock.
    2014 Basscat Margay/ 2014 Mercury 150 hp Optimax Pro XS
    24p Signature SL4 four one inch vent holes

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcf View Post
    What keeps rods from going in the two side boxes? The man told me point blank that he could put rods in his port side box.
    They are not open in the front. The box ends. You could put a 2 piece rod in it.

6. Banned
    He didnt seem like the kind that would tell lies.

7. Member
    He didnt seem like the kind that would tell lies.
    Maybe he had an old style margay?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    Maybe he had an old style margay?
    I was standing there looking at the boat, but i didnt open any compartments.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    I just need to see one in person. I need to find one somewhere around East TN. I know a member posted awhile back he had one around Knoxville.
    You’re more than welcome to come see mine. I’m in Tazewell, TN
    -David Daye

10. Member
    I was standing there looking at the boat, but i didnt open any compartments.
    Margay Port.jpg
    Margay Starboard.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the front of the side compartments (port and starboard respectively). This is roughly from where the compartment lids end (open) to the front. Sorry they are not great quality I just drug stuff out of the way and grabbed a couple quick pics. You are welcome to see mine as well. I'm near Springfield in southwest Missouri.
    Last edited by lostone; 01-21-2019 at 07:01 PM.

11. Member
    Yep those pictures are what I mean. The boxes end. I assume it has foam up there.

I can't imagine anyone not being able to store enough rods in a margay. You won't have a hole for every rod butt if you want to pack it full. But I've had 20 rods in mine before and it could hold more. I do use rod socks. When stuffing the driver's side I've had some difficulty getting a bunch of the tips in the hole. I'm not sure what the obstruction is. But it holds so many rods if I can't get it in the driver's side I just put it in the passenger side. I typically have about 6 baitcasters in the passenger bump out section and 3 spinning rods on the driver's side.

12. Member
    Yep those pictures are what I mean. The boxes end. I assume it has foam up there.

I can't imagine anyone not being able to store enough rods in a margay. You won't have a hole for every rod butt if you want to pack it full. But I've had 20 rods in mine before and it could hold more. I do use rod socks. When stuffing the driver's side I've had some difficulty getting a bunch of the tips in the hole. I'm not sure what the obstruction is. But it holds so many rods if I can't get it in the driver's side I just put it in the passenger side. I typically have about 6 baitcasters in the passenger bump out section and 3 spinning rods on the driver's side.
    The obstruction on the drivers side for the rod tips is the recessed area where the front graph is. I was looking trying to figure out what was catching them and the recessed area is not very far above the cut to hold the rods.

13. Member

The obstruction on the drivers side for the rod tips is the recessed area where the front graph is. I was looking trying to figure out what was catching them and the recessed area is not very far above the cut to hold the rods.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    Hummm... I wonder if I aim it down if it would help. Too dam cold this week for me to even try.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    You’re more than welcome to come see mine. I’m in Tazewell, TN
    Thanks for the offer. We looked at some BassCats at the show in Knoxville. The wife says we can pretty much get any boat unless it has white on it so out with the Margay. Man I wish they would change that because that boat would be a perfect fit for us.

16. Member
    Tom for the two right hand rod holes you need to angle the rod tips to the right. If you get in that compartment and flash a light in there you can see the obstruction. I have rod socks on mine and you almost need to put all three rods in together at one time otherwise if you do them one at a time the third one will give you fit's. The two holes on the left are wide open you can probably get 5 rods in each hole.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    Tom for the two right hand rod holes you need to angle the rod tips to the right. If you get in that compartment and flash a light in there you can see the obstruction. I have rod socks on mine and you almost need to put all three rods in together at one time otherwise if you do them one at a time the third one will give you fit's. The two holes on the left are wide open you can probably get 5 rods in each hole.
    You a ain't kidding it will give you fits on the third rod!

Just embrace the white center part of the boat. Mine is red and white and it looks great. I guess if you go 3 colors it might look bad?

18. Member
    Thanks for the offer. We looked at some BassCats at the show in Knoxville. The wife says we can pretty much get any boat unless it has white on it so out with the Margay. Man I wish they would change that because that boat would be a perfect fit for us.
    I was in the same camp as your wife about the white center section. Pretty bummed, but it was such a big jump in price for a comparable Sabre plus I really prefer the layout of the Margay that I either had to be bummed about the color or I had to pay a lot more money for a boat with a layout I didn't like as much. I can tell you know that I hardly even notice the white.

photobucket-6624-1319505399898.jpg
    -David Daye

19. Member
    I really liked that Lynx and it was almost all white. As much as I like red, white, and blue , I think I would've gone with either a blue or a red primary with white and contrasting color trim over the Pantera that was at the show.
    -David Daye

20. Banned
    Another margay II is the answer. A premium margay with the good resins and all the bells and whistles. Hang a flashed SHO on the back and run in the low 70's all day long. Perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast