Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    I run a separate smaller unit for mapping only and don't have it networked since its only a map and no sonar. You can always transfer waypoints to the other regardless of brand.

How can you do that?
    im asking because I recently bought a ECHOMAP Plus 95sv for console and trying to budget for a front unit at the trolling motor but was told it’s easier to buy another ECHOMAP Plus unit to transfer waypoints via Ethernet but if I can find a used unit in a different brand cheaper than buying a plus 75sv or 75cv then it would be great.

Is it better in general to have two of the same brands linked?

To my knowledge, you cannot share waypoints between Lowrance and Garmin directly, you will have to download to an SD card and import to the other unit. It is notable that the format used for the export/import will have to be GPX.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    To my knowledge, you cannot share waypoints between Lowrance and Garmin directly, you will have to download to an SD card and import to the other unit. It is notable that the format used for the export/import will have to be GPX.
    Seems like it would be a pain while you’re out on the water.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    Seems like it would be a pain while you’re out on the water.
    Thanks!
    Sorry, I was not very clear. Once you have loaded the waypoints on both units using the sd card, the NMEA 2000 net work will keep them coordinated. If both units are powered up and you create a waypoint on one unit, it will also be created on the other.
    The Sd card is only needed once to move the waypoints from the old unit to the new ones.

Wait I thought ethernet syncs the waypoints
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    Wait I thought ethernet syncs the waypoints
    I need to rescind my post number 24. When I read your reply, I was thinking about a different thread where the op was trying to move waypoints between a Lowrance HDS and a Lowrance Elite Ti. The Elite Ti does not have Ethernet so it can only communicate via NEMA 2000. So just forget I said that.
    In your post, you mentioned that you might consider linking another brand with the Garmin unit. Lowrance cannot link to Garmin either with Ethernet or NMEA 2000.

7. Member
    Sorry, I was not very clear. Once you have loaded the waypoints on both units using the sd card, the NMEA 2000 net work will keep them coordinated. If both units are powered up and you create a waypoint on one unit, it will also be created on the other.
    The Sd card is only needed once to move the waypoints from the old unit to the new ones.
    But if I have two ECHOMAP Plus units connected by Ethernet , when I make a way point on one, the other will automatically show it right?

Also, what if one is a plus unit and the other is the older chirp unit, since you can’t sync via Ethernet, would I need to transfer waypoints on the sd card?

thanks
    Last edited by datbasstho; 01-17-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by datbasstho View Post
    But if I have two ECHOMAP Plus units connected by Ethernet , when I make a way point on one, the other will automatically show it right?

Also, what if one is a plus unit and the other is the older chirp unit, since you can’t sync via Ethernet, would I need to transfer waypoints on the sd card?

thanks
    I am not the right person to answer this. I only have experience with Lowrance. May be best to post the question on the Garmin forum.

9. Member
    I am not the right person to answer this. I only have experience with Lowrance. May be best to post the question on the Garmin forum.

Ok thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12