Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question New issue with Ultrex

Low power problem -- has done it twice now, here are the deets.

Both times were after the boat wasn't used for a couple of weeks.
    Soon after deploying motor the first time I noticed the prop speed was way down.
    I tried turning the rheostat up, no difference- tried dialing from zero to 10 multiple times. I turned the motor off then back on -- unplugged it--tried the remote--spot lock.. Nothing made a difference. I thought it might be a dead battery and its only getting 24 volts. I kept using it and after a while It began to speed up for a short burst each time you depressed the button, the burst slowly got longer and soon it was working normal. It worked fine for the next 3 days.

Fast forward two weeks and it did the exact same thing. .
    When I got in that night I checked and tightened all battery connections.. But I have no idea at this point if that helped since it seems to work fine until it sits several days.
    The boat is 430 miles from here and I can't test it prior to this Saturdays tournament as the lake is off limits. Sure hate to get to my first spot and have a repeat.
    Thought--- Ideas-- Suggestions !!

What did Minn Kota say about it?
    Boatless

3. Member
    Mine does the same thing. The last couple trips.

Acts like the voltage is really low, but it is fresh off the charger. It works off and on through the day. Seems as if it works better after having turned the thing left/right several times really fast.

I haven’t looked into it much, but I plan on really checking everything from the troller to the batteries this week to assure it isn’t a battery/cable/charger issue. If I isolate it to the troller, I guess then I will seek warranty work.

Also, I can be on the water spot locked, and all of a sudden the boat is drifting away. The yellow “prop light” is on and the troller is turning towards the spot locked location, but simply no thrust. The remote doesn’t respond as well at that time.

4. Member
    I’ve always thought my Ultrex was underpowered based on the performance I’ve seen on my small boat. I even asked the service shop to look at it, but all voltages, draw, etc come up normal. I wonder if there’s an underlying issue.

5. Member
    Wow! You guys are making me nervous! Was going to pull the trigger on a Ultrex. Guess I may wait and see, especially seeing Lowrance and Garmin are coming out with some comparable units to a Ultrex.

6. Member
    My first thought was water/moisture in motor.

Corrosion building up on commentator or something, then takes a bit for the corrosion to wear off.

One thing to check is if you had a DC amp clamp meter (or similar) and when the problem occurs measure current, excessively current would indicate binding in the motor. I find it unlikely that it would be anything related electronically with the control board.

7. Member
    You may have a bad armature.

Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Mine does the same thing. The last couple trips.

Acts like the voltage is really low, but it is fresh off the charger. It works off and on through the day. Seems as if it works better after having turned the thing left/right several times really fast.

I haven’t looked into it much, but I plan on really checking everything from the troller to the batteries this week to assure it isn’t a battery/cable/charger issue. If I isolate it to the troller, I guess then I will seek warranty work.

Also, I can be on the water spot locked, and all of a sudden the boat is drifting away. The yellow “prop light” is on and the troller is turning towards the spot locked location, but simply no thrust. The remote doesn’t respond as well at that time.

As for the power issue. I would check all connections as mentioned above. Loose wire or corroded connection. If all those check out then you may have a bad cell in one of your batteries. It would take a load test to find that out. Auto Zone or any care service center can do this. Just make sure the batteries indicate they are fully charged. If all above checks out then I would check motor for water intrusion. Loosen one of the housing bolts behind the prop. Must remove the prop.
    Last but not least. It is highly recommended that you disconnect your troll motor from the batteries while charging. unplug it or open the disconnect switch. Minn Kota highly recommends this. Leaving power on the troll motor while charging could damage the control board.
    Last edited by Bradrodfish; 01-14-2019 at 03:14 PM.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Wow! You guys are making me nervous! Was going to pull the trigger on a Ultrex. Guess I may wait and see, especially seeing Lowrance and Garmin are coming out with some comparable units to a Ultrex.
    Everytime I think of picking one up I come on here and see a new set of issues. Is it just me or are these things the bottomless pit of issues? 2013 fortrex zero problems... just did a service on it and she ready for the new upcoming season.

9. Member
    First, I don't think it would be battery since it gets better as the day goes instead of worse. Most time a bad battery continues to fail. Same for water in lower unit, usually will start off good with little or no water and as it fills, start running sluggish. Sounds like something is making brushes stick, then as it's used they loosen up, same goes for armature, usually it heats with time and becomes open, but will run good to start. but I'm just thinking out loud. Normally "current" doesn't "cure" itself throughout the day -- but sometimes mechanical will.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    jtracc, I agree with you! I have been wanting to pull the trigger on an Ultrex as well. I have a old 101 Maxxum that has been bulletproof so far. Thinking I might have to wait a little while longer to see if they can get these issues fixed.

11. Member
    Have your minn kota certified installer take a look at it. Most of the problems are faulty install's by John Smith's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    First, I don't think it would be battery since it gets better as the day goes instead of worse. Most time a bad battery continues to fail. Same for water in lower unit, usually will start off good with little or no water and as it fills, start running sluggish. Sounds like something is making brushes stick, then as it's used they loosen up, same goes for armature, usually it heats with time and becomes open, but will run good to start. but I'm just thinking out loud. Normally "current" doesn't "cure" itself throughout the day -- but sometimes mechanical will.
    John
    True - a bad battery does not fix itself. Which was my first assumption until the power came back up.
    It's as if the power loss is caused from something that is corroding or sticking from lack of regular usage.. But will slowly start working after enough use.
    The first thing that comes to mind is a connection that needs some heat or friction before it makes clean contact.
    What would cause the brushes to stick ?

At this point since I won't be able to get the unit checked by an ASC before my tournament.. The best I can do is try it while on the trailer the night before and hope it's at full power or it will (loosen) up running it out of the water.

I want to hear more about the Ultrex. I'm about the drop double the money plus of my Motorguide tour. I'd really like know they have reliable quality.
    I have read 6
    bad reviews
    out of 13 on the Minn Kota website. Subscribed...
    Take your kid Fishing!
    http://mcbassin.webs.com/

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
    I want to hear more about the Ultrex. I'm about the drop double the money plus of my Motorguide tour. I'd really like know they have reliable quality.
    I have read 6
    bad reviews
    If you have questions that I can answer -- and I can ship you the trolling motor when you decide to pull the trigger, give me a call later today. I think I can ease you mind.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    True - a bad battery does not fix itself. Which was my first assumption until the power came back up.
    It's as if the power loss is caused from something that is corroding or sticking from lack of regular usage.. But will slowly start working after enough use.
    The first thing that comes to mind is a connection that needs some heat or friction before it makes clean contact.
    What would cause the brushes to stick ?

At this point since I won't be able to get the unit checked by an ASC before my tournament.. The best I can do is try it while on the trailer the night before and hope it's at full power or it will (loosen) up running it out of the water.
    Usually moisture mixes with the brush dust (carbon/graphite composite) to form a paste and causes brushes to stick. However, like I said earlier, if it had water in it, it should get worse as the days goes. That is one that will need opening up to look at. As you know, bad electrical connections, either at the control board, battery wiring, or lower unit doesn't get better with heat either.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
    I have read 6
    bad reviews
    I have had no issues with mine....not one complaint. I had mine professionally installed by certified minn kota installer/dealer. I'd say 99% of the issues that you see on here are from faulty installs by Joe Smith. If you get the ultrex you will love it.

17. Member
    Just a Joe Smith here, but a friend had the situation of getting more power after use. It was the trolling motor outlet and one of the wires was loose. It heated up and burnt off some of the char on the wire and conducted more power. Something to take a quick look at anyway. Bob

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Just a Joe Smith here, but a friend had the situation of getting more power after use. It was the trolling motor outlet and one of the wires was loose. It heated up and burnt off some of the char on the wire and conducted more power. Something to take a quick look at anyway. Bob
    I've had my wiring checked twice and upgrade new group 27 batteries with new group 31's and didn't see much of a difference. It works, but I struggle in current more than I think I should. I run that motor at 6 and above almost all the time. It's a 80lb/24v on an 18ft BassCat.

Highly possible.. Those wires have been there a long time with no attention.

20. Member
    Not saying it isn't, but doesn't make walking around sense with electricity. If something has "burned" connection, it doesn't get better or wear off the burn with more power. Instead, it heats up and disconnects, burning the connection more has it heats up.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast