Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is just a shot in the dark, but could it be stuck in the acceleration ramp? Is it running that slow?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Not sure what your refering to..

The speed would be about 2.5 to 3 even when turned up to full power.
    At first nothing will make it faster....But after (repeated) button depressions it will give a little speed burst each time the button is pushed which will slowly increase in duration until it finally works like it's supposed to.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I've had my wiring checked twice and upgrade new group 27 batteries with new group 31's and didn't see much of a difference. It works, but I struggle in current more than I think I should. I run that motor at 6 and above almost all the time. It's a 80lb/24v on an 18ft BassCat.
    Id say there's an issue... I have 80lb/24v fortrex on my 18ft ranger and 80% of my fishing is at 30% power. On windier days 4-5 tops. Only times I see above 60% power is when I'm moving from spot to spot in a hurry. At 30% power I can fish Friday Saturday and Sunday 6-8 hrs days never loosing any performance from TM or batteries. And I do all my own installs, not paying a shop $300 to install a trolling motor or graphs.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Guys who are interested in buying an Ultrex but then don't because they read a few mechanical issues here are completely handicapping themselves based on how many of these motors are sold nationally. You only hear the complaints. I think it was mentioned "6" complaints and that is nothing compared to the thousands of these motors sold. YOu couldn't pay me enough to have me switch to another model.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If you have questions that I can answer -- and I can ship you the trolling motor when you decide to pull the trigger, give me a call later today. I think I can ease you mind.
    John
    Thanks John. I will hit you up when I'm ready to buy. Right now, I'm still researching. I've been a Motorguide guy for almost 30 years. I've honestly never liked the Minn Kota pedal when I've ran them in friends boats. I think the spotlock thing has changed my mind completetly about brands.
    I know Motorguide is offering GPS model now but the comparison videos aren't close. I'm hoping that Garmin jumps into the market eventually. I have Garmin graphs and I love them...
    Take your kid Fishing!
    http://mcbassin.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Guys who are interested in buying an Ultrex but then don't because they read a few mechanical issues here are completely handicapping themselves based on how many of these motors are sold nationally. You only hear the complaints. I think it was mentioned "6" complaints and that is nothing compared to the thousands of these motors sold. YOu couldn't pay me enough to have me switch to another model.
    I mentioned the 6 bad reviews on the Minn Kota site. I have read other complaints on the Texas fishing forum too. I know from being in manufacturing that you can have a few bad installs or bad apples. I know I want spot lock. I'm just doing my do diligence researching. I spent like $1000 on my last trolling motor. This is a whole different investment level in my hobby... :)
    Take your kid Fishing!
    http://mcbassin.webs.com/

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I think many will agree there has been more issues then anticipated... for minn kota to extend the warranties on all the ultrexes I'd say they are still working out the kinks. Not saying it's not a good motor... how many, lets say fortrex's are out there, more then the ultrex and you hardly hear any problems. Sure there are issues, but nothing like the ultrex has had. I had a few small issues with my fortrex over the past season, never kept me off the water. Fixed the issues, anticipating another solid performance this season. If I picked up an ultrex I wouldn't get rid of the fortrex, just don't have the confidence from what I have read. But that's just me...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Id say there's an issue... I have 80lb/24v fortrex on my 18ft ranger and 80% of my fishing is at 30% power. On windier days 4-5 tops. Only times I see above 60% power is when I'm moving from spot to spot in a hurry. At 30% power I can fish Friday Saturday and Sunday 6-8 hrs days never loosing any performance from TM or batteries. And I do all my own installs, not paying a shop $300 to install a trolling motor or graphs.
    I tend to agree with you, but I don't know what else to do. My service shop is excellent and they also sent it to a Minn Kota ASC who checked it out and everything checks out. I know that I'm fishing on a river and there's a lot of wind and current, but unless it's flat calm I don't feel like I have enough power. Sometimes I think I'm imagining it :)
    I swapped out the smaller batteries when it wasn't lasting a full day, but I've never tried to get 2 days out of the bigger ones.

9. Member
    If your boat has a breaker like the TH Marine style 60 amp one i would def check that I’ve saw a couple lately that would do some crazy stuff and that was the culprit poor connection and they eventually would only work out of water.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
    I want to hear more about the Ultrex. I'm about the drop double the money plus of my Motorguide tour. I'd really like know they have reliable quality.
    I have read 6
    bad reviews
    out of 13 on the Minn Kota website. Subscribed...
    . I’m waiting to see what Lowrance comes out with as my MG Tour has never failed me.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I tend to agree with you, but I don't know what else to do. My service shop is excellent and they also sent it to a Minn Kota ASC who checked it out and everything checks out. I know that I'm fishing on a river and there's a lot of wind and current, but unless it's flat calm I don't feel like I have enough power. Sometimes I think I'm imagining it :)
    I swapped out the smaller batteries when it wasn't lasting a full day, but I've never tried to get 2 days out of the bigger ones.
    If you think you're not getting the power/thrust you should, obtain a DC Amp meter (clamp on type is good) and go to the lake. Put the trolling motor in the situation you're concerned about and set the speed control to high, then take an amp reading on the positive cable. If it's within specs of the amp draw for that motor, the thrust is there. If not, it should be looked at.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by teamgreatoutdoors View Post
    If your boat has a breaker like the TH Marine style 60 amp one i would def check that I’ve saw a couple lately that would do some crazy stuff and that was the culprit poor connection and they eventually would only work out of water.
    If your referring to my OP... If not I will check it anyway.

I think we have about three or four threads going here now.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If you think you're not getting the power/thrust you should, obtain a DC Amp meter (clamp on type is good) and go to the lake. Put the trolling motor in the situation you're concerned about and set the speed control to high, then take an amp reading on the positive cable. If it's within specs of the amp draw for that motor, the thrust is there. If not, it should be looked at.
    John
    Thanks John I will try that when I hit the water in the Spring :)

Update..
    Checked motor while still on trailer. Same deal very low power no matter where the dial was set. I tapped the motor with a small hammer and it started running like it should but was making noise. Luckily there is an ASC down here. He pulled the bottom rear bolt and it had some water. Funny thing the water had a smell and consistency of light oil.

15. Member
    Water will take on that consistency due to mixing with the brush dust. Brushes are a graphite/carbon composite and the graphite will cause that. That will also thicken and cause brushes to stick. What I don't understand is how it got a "some" of water in it. If there is a place for water to get in, usually it will fill up and quit over a days fishing.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Several months ago after reading on here about loose bolts I checked and tightened these. Also put a dab of liquid tape over them.
    When the ASC asked if anyone had been in the case I told him what I had done and why. He claimed he had not heard of any being loose from the factory. Sounds like I might get to eat this one since I tightened the bolts

mad:double

18. Member
    stand your ground Mike and don't let him back off on not repairing under warranty.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Several months ago after reading on here about loose bolts I checked and tightened these. Also put a dab of liquid tape over them.
    When the ASC asked if anyone had been in the case I told him what I had done and why. He claimed he had not heard of any being loose from the factory. Sounds like I might get to eat this one since I tightened the bolts
    I would be PISSED if I had to pay for a fix for under warranty in this case!!!! I would complain until it got fixed under warranty!!!

FYI, My buddy replaced a Motorguide digital Tour with an X5. It was having the same exact issue as yours, start off slow and then start working better later on. He gave it to me and check it out, thing was 1/4 full of nasty brown, black smelly oily water!!!

20. Member
    I too read something about loose bolts holding a lower unit together on a TM. The first season on my MG Tour back in 2013 within the first few outings I read this and decided to chech the bolts behind the prop and one is REAL loose. I just snugged it up going by the feel of the other one and never had an issue with it. I replaced that MG with my Ultrex and that was two years ago. Sold the MG to a friend and he's put 2 seasons on it and loves it. I see no reason why that should void a warranty unless the unit was pulled apart by the owner and THEN and issue resulted. That would be no good.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast