Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Interesting.... let's keep this thread going. I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Lynx in a few weeks. I'll be running the new Merc 4 stoke, RELiON Lithiums and an Atlas jackplate. I was going to order a spare prop but am now going to hold off until I hear what is ideal. With my past boats (Z520 Rangers and a V20 Legend) I would always start with engine jacked all the way up. I would then lower and trim up after the bow dropped. I'm curious to see if the Lynx is the same. I might have a lot learn.

Rick, I ran a TRX21 last year before I got the Lynx, I ran the Atlas to the top to launch as well, you will only need the Atlas up on 11 to 13 on the Lynx for holeshot. The boat handles the best at low speeds with the plate all the way down. I raise it to launch then drop it all the way if I'm going to cruise at 20-40 mph. If I'm going to run, I drop it to 6-9 or so on the Atlas. The Lynx is built to run, it gets on top at about 50 and keeps on pulling. I'm running a SHO, so I don't know about the new Merc, but I have talked with guys that have run every motor on the Lynx, and the hull / running characteristics have been the same. I love it, my 4th Cat and my favorite.

There are differences in all engines on handling characteristics. From SHO, to Pro XS and BRP G2 they all are a bit different. Hole shot definitely is also different on these engines.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Going to 1/2" larger diameter did you come up on the jackplate any? How much lower were the rpm's?
    I actually tried a Fury 25p 4 blade and a 26p 4 blade. The 25p holeshot was pretty good, rpm was 6400rpms @ 73 mph. I did not document jackplate positions but tried running several heights. The 26p 4 blade holeshot ok not ok with 2 people, 6270 rpms 75 mph same thing played with several positions on the jackplate. Both props the boat seemed to run flatter and lifted the stern more. I've also run a 26 Tempest 3 blade and a 27 Tempest 3 blade. They wanted to vent most of the time and especially when turning( I really didn't test them as I did not like the way they drove at all). This spring I will test more 3 blades. I'm presently running a Fury 24p 3 blade. Holeshot is great, gets on pad quicker and just drives better than the 4 blades I've tested. I have not had time to run the 24p 3 blade full out yet as my boat went back to Basscat to have a new center decklid installed. It has been 76.4 @ 6400 rpms and was still gaining(ran out of good water that day). Next, I will test the 25p 3 blade Fury worked by Ronnie Gilbert. Motor is a Verado 250 Pro.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brinson View Post
    I actually tried a Fury 25p 4 blade and a 26p 4 blade. The 25p holeshot was pretty good, rpm was 6400rpms @ 73 mph. I did not document jackplate positions but tried running several heights. The 26p 4 blade holeshot ok not ok with 2 people, 6270 rpms 75 mph same thing played with several positions on the jackplate. Both props the boat seemed to run flatter and lifted the stern more. I've also run a 26 Tempest 3 blade and a 27 Tempest 3 blade. They wanted to vent most of the time and especially when turning( I really didn't test them as I did not like the way they drove at all). This spring I will test more 3 blades. I'm presently running a Fury 24p 3 blade. Holeshot is great, gets on pad quicker and just drives better than the 4 blades I've tested. I have not had time to run the 24p 3 blade full out yet as my boat went back to Basscat to have a new center decklid installed. It has been 76.4 @ 6400 rpms and was still gaining(ran out of good water that day). Next, I will test the 25p 3 blade Fury worked by Ronnie Gilbert. Motor is a Verado 250 Pro.
    Sounds like you've done lots of testing, didn't realize you have a hydraulic jackplate and running the I6 Verado.

6. Member
    I’m kicking the idea around on getting a lynx. I’ve always heard BCB chine walk more than other brands. How does the lynx drive?

The Lynx is easy to drive. BassCats are great handling hulls, there's a reason guys are so loyal to BCB. You have to put in some seat time on every high performance hull and set the boat up to run. Guys that are telling you that Cats chine walk bad have not run one that's set up right or don't have enough seat time in it. Go out with a Cat owner and tell him to let it eat!

8. Member
    LOVE the ride of my Lynx! It's a performance designed hull that takes learning through seat time - regardless of how many other brands you've owned, borrowed or ridden in over the past 20+ years. Unfortunately there is a tremendous amount of opinion involved in any boat brand - especially from us anglers. As a someone who is "in" the marine industry day in and day out I would submit for your consideration that opinion is relative to the opinion holder's unique experiences. With that said, you must find what is important for and to you in a boat and a boat company. BCB is second to none in client support services - ask any owner - not the Rodney, Bubba or Delbert (sorry to all you Delbert's out there) who heard a story from a friend of a friend who had a cousin who was fishing next to this guy who said........

Sorry - I got off topic of this thread. Regarding the chine walking discussion - any performance hull design must be learned through hours of seat time. It's easy to cast doubt if you do not personally know and understand the difference in designs and how hulls are supposed to be driven. Find someone with whom you trust - who understands boat hull designs and who has the model you are considering. Not an easy task I understand but every opinion is relative and the only one that should matter is the one who is buying or considering buying the boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansa View Post
    I’m kicking the idea around on getting a lynx. I’ve always heard BCB chine walk more than other brands. How does the lynx drive?
    It's only the last 1-2 MPH that can be a little tricky.

10. Member
    I'm having a hard time getting used to the Lynx ride as well. My most recent rig was a Legend V20 SHO combo... my previous rides were Rangers. I mention this only because very little driver input was needed to get these hulls running right..... I'm still learning the Cat hull. So I have a 2019 Lynx with an Atlas Jack plate. Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke, 24 Fury 3 (all PVS holes open) and Lithium batteries. Contrary to my previous set ups, that like the motor all the way up for take off, the Lynx needs the new Mercury at about 9-11 on the Atlas gauge for the hole shot otherwise I get rapid blow out. Now with the Lithium's, hole shot is almost immediate with very little bow rise. Would plugging the PVS holes help prevent blow out... I fish a lot of shallow tidal waters. It would be nice to have the engine raised all the way for take off. My previous V20 SHO combo had a ventless 25 T1 prop. I always thought vents were not needed on 4 strokes. Now as I'm accelerating after it's on plane I'm having some newbie issues. I feel like the steep V hull of the Lynx really wants to grab (especially on other boat wakes during tourney launch) and it kinda feels like someone is hitting the brakes every time I cross a wave. I also have to battle to keep it going straight because the hull might grab slightly left or right making for a very jerky 30-55mph speed zone. I'm used to skipping a crossed the waves while accelerating until I get to clean water where I can completely trim it out and go. This hull, as I'm currently running it, has slight difficulty accelerating through chop.... I can really feel a sticky drag. Now once you get it to upper 50's it goes fine.... No edge catching and acceleration to mid 70's depending on load. I initially had some chime issues but found I can leave the Atlas on 9 and trim about to about 1/4 and go 73-76 with little or no issues. This is by no means a knock on this fine piece of fishing machinery. As I stated above I'm new to these hulls and want learn how to run them properly. Thanks in advance

More info to help:

Coming from a Ranger they are trim and press the throttle for speed. On a Bass Cat you press the throttle and trim for speed. The amount of trim is less than required for most Ranger hulls. The efficiency come from the hull developing and taking time before you trim all the way up. Most Bass Cat hulls require only a portion of the trim and if your using all the trim, often it’s not running right. That is usually an indication of excess height.

The hydraulic jackplate is not needed though a handy tool. It allows you to raise the plate up for hole shot (engine venting) and lower it down to perform.

Steering whelel torque dictates everything as torque is slippage, slippage is wasted motion. Trim it to where you have no torque and try to resist standing on the new jackplate trying to squeeze everything out of it. The most performance you will find is with the engine lower, especially on th big Lynx hull.

Just take it slow and we are glad your enjoying your Lynx.

BCB

Note: we were adding this as Rick McFaul was adding his comment. We hope it helps.

https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...e/#post-344148

Rick:

Here is a nice piece on driving a Bass Cat. Other models are harder and have more potential than a Lynx with a 250, though this will still help you learn how. There’s more to it and this is a start.

We would never ever run a Lynx above about 1/4 on any gauge when loaded. Please feel the steering and it should have only a little torque pulling it right. Which is propeller torque. If the torque is hard to pull back left, that slippage on the propeller from the engine being too high.

On the lower end handling you trim up to release the hull and stop once everything frees up.

This has us considering a driving session for Lynx owners, and new Bass Cat Owners, at the Beaver Lake Owners Invitational

Anyone interested?

BCB

13. Member
    Thanks... for the quick response. Any idea about plugging the PVS holes on the Fury? I read in a previous thread where you recommended running the Fury with PVS holes out. I'm not sure why and if that would apply to someone with Lithiums and a great hole shot.

It is all depending on hub venting. If there is not any venting, then it’s fine as is. That’s a fine line on Mercury wheels and different than the SHO props.

BCB

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Wicked: that hull doesn't climb all the way out till it hits about 50mph, is that what you're experiencing? Or are you just asking about holeshot? You're welcome to PM me.
    This is how mine runs as well. Many good points on here. Mine does best with the plate down at lower speeds. If I keep the plate high at lower speeds the nose of the boat tends to want to hunt direction-wise.

BCB made a comment about adding throttle then trimming to gain speed. Spot on. When you start adding trim, at about 50 MPH you will feel the hull start to lift out of the water and speed increases quickly.

It certainly takes seat time. But I absolutely love my Lynx!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

16. Member
    Thanks.... the hunting nose was concerning. When you say plate down at lower speeds are we talking all the way down? It's kind of interesting how everything is almost exactly 180 degrees opposite from previous boats in terms of motor settings. I'll get her dialed in!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...e/#post-344148

Rick:

Here is a nice piece on driving a Bass Cat. Other models are harder and have more potential than a Lynx with a 250, though this will still help you learn how. There’s more to it and this is a start.

We would never ever run a Lynx above about 1/4 on any gauge when loaded. Please feel the steering and it should have only a little torque pulling it right. Which is propeller torque. If the torque is hard to pull back left, that slippage on the propeller from the engine being too high.

On the lower end handling you trim up to release the hull and stop once everything frees up.

This has us considering a driving session for Lynx owners, and new Bass Cat Owners, at the Beaver Lake Owners Invitational

Anyone interested?

BCB
    I would be interested.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked31 View Post
    What I’m referring to when I say on pad means already planned out but trying to get on the running pad to maximize speed. Hole shot seems fine and I usually start trimming it up once the bow comes down. On semi calm water I’ll trim it till I feel the boat start to pull while watching the water pressure them stop when the pressure drops slightly. I just ordered the hydraulic jack plate through my dealer and I’m sure that will fix the problem since I can play with it to find the sweet spot.
    This is really not the right way to adjust the trim. Take off, hands off trim until nose falls over. Then start to trim in steps. You do NOT use water pressure to determine proper trim, you are probably going way too far if you do that. Watch the speed on your GPS, and tweak trim until that peaks. That is the optimal setting. You can do this a few times and learn where to set it on the trim gauge, or after driving a while you will be able to set the trim based on boat performance/handling/feel without the trim gauge. You can always look back at the motor. On the trailer, level the motor with the trim, then find something on the cowl that is also level (IE on the optis you can use the mercury logo on the side of the cowl). Once you have found a reference that is parallel to the prop shaft, when you are running down the river, that reference line you found should be horizontal (parallel to the surface of the water). I've run a few rangers and tritons that like the trim WAY up there. Not so on a bass cat. They don't run with the bow pointing at the sky, they run pretty flat due to the shape/design of the hull...

A little steering torque is necessary, usually. But I would not use that to adjust the trim. You have a much more accurate instrument (GPS speed) to help you zero in on the right trim setting.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Thanks.... the hunting nose was concerning. When you say plate down at lower speeds are we talking all the way down? It's kind of interesting how everything is almost exactly 180 degrees opposite from previous boats in terms of motor settings. I'll get her dialed in!!!
    Yes, all the way down. I have memorized where my plate needs to be to get the best holeshot. With the 300, holeshot is NOT an issue at all. But with the plate in this raised position, if I pull the throttle back and keep the speed low (under 50 or so) the nose will tend to hunt back and forth. I can either throttle up and bring the boat up on pad or lower the plate deeper to stop the hunt. Personally, I'm usually throttling on up so my hair is on fire! Once up on pad (approximately 50+) I then start trimming up and the speed really begins to climb quickly.

Mine seems happiest running about 45-50% on my trim gauge. By myself but with a full load (way too much crap in the boat!) and 3/4 fuel, 75-76 all day. Last weekend with myself and two 210+ college kids, 72-73. Like all performance boats, it can start to chine walk a bit. But if you stay on top of the slight steering corrections you can easily control it and drive it with one hand. I'll get slammed here, but I never use my hot foot. Hand throttle only!

I've had mine a little over a year now and still learning. Indeed, at first it was intimidating, especially as I was coming from a Tracker 195 with a 150!

You have a top notch rig there Rick! More seat time is all you need!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

20. Member
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to start with the plate down all the way. As the boat accelerates I'll trim up and raise the plate up in small increments until she feels right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast