Love my Garmins, except one thing...

SOFTWARE UPDATING IS HORRENDOUS...

For those who have a macbook, Garmin pretty much gave us the middle finger when it comes to terms of software update, you have to be running windows to update your units. Also, don't forget if you are using an SD card that it only supports 32gb and under or else it will not work, REALLY???

Come on Garmin, it cant be that hard to put together a software update for us mac users and I have no idea why there is a limit on the size of SD card, I have 4 SD cards that are 64gb or higher that apparently worthless to Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post

For those who have a macbook, Garmin pretty much gave us the middle finger when it comes to terms of software update, you have to be running windows to update your units. Also, don't forget if you are using an SD card that it only supports 32gb and under or else it will not work, REALLY???

Come on Garmin, it cant be that hard to put together a software update for us mac users and I have no idea why there is a limit on the size of SD card, I have 4 SD cards that are 64gb or higher that apparently worthless to Garmin.
    32GB is the max for Lowrance and Humminbird also unless you format a 64GB or larger to FAT32.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    32GB is the max for Lowrance and Humminbird
    Any idea why this is the industry standard? Its 2019, I can get a 64GB SD card for 30 bucks, this shouldn't be a huge issue.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sooooooo, what size cards did you use with your previous units?????
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Sooooooo, what size cards did you use with your previous units?????
    I had Lowrance but never actually updated them, I did not know 32gb was an industry standard across all of the brands, I don't know the reasoning but I don't understand why larger gb's cant be supported. I am more frustrated that Garmins doesn't have software updates compatible with OS X

6. Member
    Just format 1 card to Fat32 and all will be good.
    BULLET 20xd * MERCURY 250 PRO XS

7. Member
    Hi . I have a Garmin striker 93sv will the highdefinitiontransducer& bov work on this unit or just the echo map series?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post

I feel your pain. My computer at home is a mac. Whenever I want to update I have my wife download the updates from her computer at work. I guess it's not a show stopper but it's odd that you can't update from an Apple computer.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Member
    I also use a mac. I have an old win book running WIN7 (no network anymore). I download using my mac, then put the card into win book to run the exe file and then update my garmin's. Probably takes an extra hour, but works fine. You could probably pic up a used one for under 50 bucks and do the same thing.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 71oldbassbassman View Post
    Hi . I have a Garmin striker 93sv will the highdefinitiontransducer& bov work on this unit or just the echo map series?
    The Striker series does not support Panoptix or the Ultra High-Definition GT34UHD-TM Transducer from my knowledge, EchoMap or higher.

11. Member
    That’s what I thought . Thanks for the info.