Dark lines when turning Ultrex

Helix 10 Mega SI GPS on TM. Version 1.84. Ultrex 112. Two ferrite toroid mix 77 rings with transducer wrapped around. Corrected RFI interference but now I'm getting a black line whenever I turn the Ultrex. Appears to be a signal loss. Anybody else have this? Any thoughts on how to correct?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Looks pretty normal for when you make a quick turn of the trolling motor. It will distort when the motor turns.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    In my original version, 1.46, I would see normal distortion when turning but the image continued to display. This is different. The image is not distorting, it is momentarily blanked out.

4. Member
    what is wrapped around the terroids? Both on one cable? Location of terroids(specifics) Can be too much of a good thing. Pics too small to give an opinion. Bob

5. Member
    Hi Bob,

Using a new app for pictures. Not getting the size right. If I increase size any, the system says my pic is too big. Here is the link on my toroid install.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=953405

6. Member
    Did you try one before you doubled it up? It would appear with the label in the pic it is close to the unit. Might not be from the rings and you may now be dealing with with an induced signal( wires run along side the transducer cable or even near power cables for your unit). It is always a process to rid all but I would try only one torried or less wraps to see what happens if you don't have a second source of interference.

7. Member
    Thanks, I'll try adjusting the toroids and see what I get. Hoops and loops to get a good image...

8. Member
    The trolling motor has been a source of interference since the advent of PWM speed control. If there was some way to prevent it they would be in using it. The more sophisticated imaging(high frequency) only makes it more susceptible to it. You will get it better. Just a pain! Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The trolling motor has been a source of interference since the advent of PWM speed control. If there was some way to prevent it they would be in using it. The more sophisticated imaging(high frequency) only makes it more susceptible to it. You will get it better. Just a pain! Bob
    The SI units have 5 different frequencies that can be affected by RFI---83/200/455/800/1200 kHz.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    I cleared up any interference I have had by running a ground wire from the trolling motor skeg to the ground of my starting battery. Basically found a ground under the front deck and connected it there and have had zero problems running 3 different MinnKota`s on my boat.

11. Member
    My understanding is that the Ultrex (not sure what others) have an internal ground and that you should not connect an external ground wire. Others can weigh in.
    Last edited by DougL58; 01-15-2019 at 07:28 AM.

12. Member
    PM Sent

13. Member
    Thanks Bob,

I understand every setup is different and take different solutions. Will keep testing.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    PM Sent