checking compressor

250xs # 0t653142 i removed the belt and there is zero side to side movement on pulley but a tiny amount of end play is that acceptable or is it zero tolerance? Thanks

2. Member
    nobody?

3. Member
    I would think a “tiny” amount of end play would be normal due to the forces/methods that would be required to remove all play but we may all have different definitions of tiny. I was curious about mine and split the filters and found a little glitter so I opened and inspected and found the main journal was eaten up a little so I replaced. Those inspection methods are about the only way I know of to satisfy all curiosity if you are open to having an oil prime done after either putting it back together or replacing the compressor. Beyond doing one of those things I would just run it and not think about it. Did something specific make you wonder about this or were you just checking things out?

4. Member
    i was just checking things out the movement is minimal but there is end play.

5. Member
    Mine had very little movement at 420 hours but replaced it because it was noisier than normal. It was taken apart and rod bearing was on its last leg. I am going to replace mine every 400 hours.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Technically .030" end to end is the max.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor