Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I will be deciding between a shallow water anchor or new TM in the next year and while I would love to get an Ultrex...I see SO many issues with them in the TM forum. I know there are a lot of moving parts...maybe I’m an old fart.
    I had the same debate, finally decided on the Ultrex, and glad I did. Best money I ever spent on a boat accessory.
    I thought the power poles would be a better option in shallow water but I only spend about 1/2 my time there. My impression is that you spend more time in shallow water based on your location. You can use the spotlock in shallow water, but if you are close to your casting target, I would be concerned about prop washing the target spot.
    Another negative is that the spotlock will locate the front of the boat but it kicks the back of the boat around if there is no wind or current to orient it. In this regard, I make sure the boat is stopped or drifting backward before engaging spotlock to avoid the motor making a backwards correction and kicking the rear of the boat around.
    If you are a cast length from your target, this is not significant, but if you are pitching or flipping a bedding fish, it could spook them.
    A feature I use more than I thought I would is the iPilot. Working down a bank or weed line, I engage iPilot and set the speed on 2 or 3. This frees me up from the pedal and allow me to move around the deck for comfort or better casting position.
    My Ultrex works great for me, and I would make the same decision again, but I wanted you to be aware of some possible negatives in shallow water.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    I’ve used my Ultrex on bedding fish,and the key is to let the wind decide how you want to position the boat and what side to fish from. This can be deadly effective on windy days!!!

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Congrats!

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thank You Mr. Reynolds, as always you’re a wealth of information! Can’t wait to see how the OP like his new TM!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. #FRB
    Got mine installed last night. Tried it out today and it performed GREAT. The prop on the 45" shaft is plenty deep but I was in rollers from hell today. I dropped a buoy on an offshore rock pile and fished a bit then got within 10' of it and spot locked. Even with the prop surfacing it still held tight and didn't deviate more than a foot at the most. Not too shabby! It is kinda noisy but maybe I'm just used to my Motorguide being so quiet. Still managed to stick a 7lb largemouth with a Vision 110+ on a lake known for small bass. Bent the crap out of the hooks in the bass when I swung her over to net it. If I woulda hooked it with the lite action rod with 6lb test I was throwing the shadrap with I might have been in trouble since I was by myself, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    Hope to get mine installed tomorrow. I asked a buddy to come over and help out. I have to drill new holes. Of course only one hole is lining up of the four that Ranger had drilled for the Maxxum. Not a huge deal, but goodness is this thing a beast for one person to man handle, especially when ya only got one good hand to man handle it with.

It appears no matter how I mount it the head is going to hang out a hair over the gunnel when it is stowed. I can't imagine putting a 52" shaft on this hull trying to avoid docks etc.

I think the guy I am going to Florida with is buying a brand new 520L (if so we will drag his down) with everything but poles, so I am no big hurry to get mine installed. Its cold and raining here right now and supposed to be COLD and windy here the rest of the week with more rain and snow coming. UUUGH I can't wait for spring!

Glad you got yours installed, calibrated and are up and running Highcentered.

7. #FRB
    One thing...MAKE SURE you pay attention to where the bounce bar will end up on the deck. To put it bluntly I got lucky. My buddy was watching that the whole time we were lining it up on the bow to mark the holes. He was even shocked at how close we came to screwing up royally. The aluminum bar JUST clears the gunnel to land on the carpet. I would have been fine with it resting on the gunnel too but not on the edge where it didn't have a solid footing. As it sits when the trolling motor comes up you can't hardly fit a sheet of paper between the path of the bar and the side of the gunnel. So close you'd think we planned for it on purpose! Good thing my buddy did his homework before coming over because I completely forgot about checking for clearance for the bounce bar. My arm got a little sore having it crammed up in the nose of the beast. His arm went up in there when we did the final snugging of the bolts.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Hope to get mine installed tomorrow. I asked a buddy to come over and help out. I have to drill new holes. Of course only one hole is lining up of the four that Ranger had drilled for the Maxxum. Not a huge deal, but goodness is this thing a beast for one person to man handle, especially when ya only got one good hand to man handle it with.

It appears no matter how I mount it the head is going to hang out a hair over the gunnel when it is stowed. I can't imagine putting a 52" shaft on this hull trying to avoid docks etc.

I think the guy I am going to Florida with is buying a brand new 520L (if so we will drag his down) with everything but poles, so I am no big hurry to get mine installed. Its cold and raining here right now and supposed to be COLD and windy here the rest of the week with more rain and snow coming. UUUGH I can't wait for spring!

Glad you got yours installed, calibrated and are up and running Highcentered.
    I plan on doing the same which as you, going from a Maxxum to a Ultrex. But, from the diagram on the Minnkota website and others an here. I thought the Ultrex and Maxxum used the same mounting holes. Just wondering why yours didnt line up?
    2017 Ranger RT188 - Charcoal Metallic
    Passenger Console
    3 across seating/ 2 across seating at bow

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Spitfire X7 19p 4 blade prop
    Atlas Micro 4 inch Jackplate
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Humminbird Helix 7 DI G2N GPS console for navigation
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI GPS G3N bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI Mega console
    Mega 360
    Boatbuckle G2 trailer retractable tiedowns

9. Member
    They don't line up, at least mine didn't. I used one of the front bolts and drilled five new holes. I sealed the other three holes before I mounted the Ultrex.

I mounted my electronic compass in front of the drivers console and tapped into the bus block underneath.

Hopefully I'll get to the water soon to calibrate. I forgot to order an adapter for the Lowrance so I can use the Ultrex transducer. That should be here this weekend.

10. Member
    There is another set of mounting holes under the starboard side cover on the Ultrex. I believe those are the ones that match the Maxxum pattern. I still would have thought that at least two of the existing holes would have matched.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    There is another set of mounting holes under the starboard side cover on the Ultrex. I believe those are the ones that match the Maxxum pattern. I still would have thought that at least two of the existing holes would have matched.
    You took the words out of my mouth. I just remembered seeing a install video doing the same thing.
    Passenger Console

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Mega 360

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    They don't line up, at least mine didn't. I used one of the front bolts and drilled five new holes. I sealed the other three holes before I mounted the Ultrex.

I mounted my electronic compass in front of the drivers console and tapped into the bus block underneath.

Hopefully I'll get to the water soon to calibrate. I forgot to order an adapter for the Lowrance so I can use the Ultrex transducer. That should be here this weekend.
    Good place for the electronic compass! Ill be doing the same. Thanks for the pics.
    Passenger Console

Mercury 115 Pro XS 4s
    Mercmonitor Smartcraft
    Sportsman II Powerpole
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    TH Marine Eliminator Nut
    Recirc livewell
    Mega 360

13. Member
    Nice work on the installation and thanks for the info and pictures. I will be trying it soon on a rt178

14. Member
    Take that side plate off and see if the holes line up. I did not do that, sounds like it may save you drilling a few holes? Either way it's not hard to seal up the holes and drill some new ones. Like I said, Ranger only drilled four holes for my Maxxum so you'll still need to drill a couple. The Ultrex weighs a bunch more than the Maxxum. There was plenty of room to work under the nose of the RT188, I am not sure how much will be under the nose of the 178?

15. Member
    Love my Ultrex. Spot lock is the best.

16. Member
    You will not be sorry! Once you use it you will never be able to go back!

17. Member
    Getting one put on as well, i hope i enjoy it as much as ive been told i would.

18. Member
    BK I've used them on a few big glass boats before plunking down the bucks on my aluminum boat. I've had mine out to calibrate and see how it would do. The water was flat out ROLLING on the river the day I had it out. The Ultrex held me in place in current that was really moving! I then went and fished in a protected area and it still did well there, but you'll note the head will take a min to find your spot in really calm water. It just moves around a bit trying to find a spot. I can see where the technology will really change how I fish when I am alone. You can walk around the boat casting all around not worrying about positioning the trolling motor.

19. Member
    Add me to the Ultrex party! Anchor smanker, who needs 'em!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12