Megabass 1/2oz jig rod this or that.

Which Megabass rod would you prefer for 1/2oz jigs on down to 1/4oz. I think I've narrowed it down to the Braillist or the Daemos.I'm just a little confused as to which would provide a more parabolic bend on the hook set and load better while casting? They are both rated 3/8-1oz lure and 8-20lb line. The Braillist is 51/2 power and the Daemos is a 5 power and both are listed as a fast action.One is 7'5" and the other 7'2".
    Can anyone using one or both shed some lite and make a recommendation based on what I'm looking for as well as sensitivity comparisons. I do have a PM into Mr.Perry,our resident MB expert.

I would think neither would have a very parabolic action being they are both fast. For jig fishing I would think you would want a more fast action anyway but everyone has different preferences for every style. I like fast action for jigs and more parabolic for treble hook presentations.

3. Member
    I have the Daemos but have never felt the Braillist. Daemos is an awesome sensitive rod that’s super versatile. I’ve thrown 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jig on it and it works nicely, I would say 1/2 oz is a little much for it. I would say the daemos would load and be more parabolic. It’s a tad stiffer than the diablo spec r and I like that a lot. Below is what I would say it’s sweet spot is ..

Spinnerbaits , Chatterbaits , topwaters, small swimbaits , weightless baits , jigs 1/4 to 3/8 , Texas 1/8 to 1/4 comfortably .

I love the sensitivity and balance. I recently got the FMJ and that’s one badass rod for jigs /worms / frogs etc

4. Member
    Forgot to mention when received the daemos the tag description said it’s medium power. Some sites say it’s heavy but it’s truly a medium heavy like Loomis 3.5 power. It’s sneaky strong and loads very nicely

I'd personally be looking at the FMJ or Valdivia. The Daemos is not suited for dragging a 1/2 oz jig...and no personal experience with the Braillist. However the Braillist is slightly lighter in lure weight rating than the FMJ and I find the FMJ to be on the minimum side of what I would need for a 1/2 oz jig.

6. Member
    I use a FMJ and love it for 1/2oz jigs.

7. Member
    A 1/4 and a 1/2 oz jig and trailer are two different rods for me. Find a compromise rod will be tough. Over powered or underpowered depending one the rod selected. MB rods for the most part have versatile tapers. The gen 1 Orichi XX EMTF does a lot things well and can cover jigs In that range ok. But I believe the gen 2 EMTF is more of a moderate rod so likely not ideal for jigs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    I use a FMJ and love it for 1/2oz jigs.
    Any idea how this compares to the Tour Versatile? I've had that rod but sold it.Too stiff for my liking and a little too short for me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    A 1/4 and a 1/2 oz jig and trailer are two different rods for me. Find a compromise rod will be tough. Over powered or underpowered depending one the rod selected. MB rods for the most part have versatile tapers. The gen 1 Orichi XX EMTF does a lot things well and can cover jigs In that range ok. But I believe the gen 2 EMTF is more of a moderate rod so likely not ideal for jigs
    I heard the same thing about the Gen2 over on TT. MB does in fact list this as a moving bait, crank bait rod on their site now.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Any idea how this compares to the Tour Versatile? I've had that rod but sold it.Too stiff for my liking and a little too short for me.
    FMJ and TV are night and day different. FMJ is not as stiff.

fmj =1/2 oz jig

12. Member
    Given the choice, would you guys take the fmj or the Braillist for my given needs ? FMJ at 5.5 power and 3/8-11/4oz lure rating had me wondering if this might be a beast.Mark,thanks for the TV/FMJ info.good to know.

13. Member
    Given the choice, would you guys take the fmj or the Braillist for my given needs ? FMJ at 5.5 power and 3/8-11/4oz lure rating had me wondering if this might be a beast.Mark,thanks for the TV/FMJ info.good to know.
    FMJ or Perfect Pitch. A 3/8 jig and trailer is max for me on a Braillist, which for me is a 3/16 to 3/8 Texas rig rod.

14. Member
    i have never fished the Brailist but the FMJ is my favorite jig rod. i agree with kickerfish1 that a 1/4oz and 1/2oz jigs are for two different rods. I believe the FMJ is a little more versatile than people think. The rod is very well balanced and feels like a MH until you set the hook. actually feels more nimble than a few MHs in my collection (Loomis, St. Croix, other MB).

that being said, for 1/4oz jigs plus trailer (trailer does add considerable weight!) the FMJ would not be my first choice in open water with non-heavy hooks. pitching 1/4oz jig with big hook to cover? surely. i was pitching 5" weightless senkos to cover with it last fall and was getting decent distance.

the daemos is another one of my favorites for jigs and plastics but does feel a bit under powered with 1/2 jigs. love it for 1/4-3/8oz jigs and t-rig. also a great single hook moving bait rod. but unlike how its marketed, this is a jig and worm rod in my hands, no doubt.

id give up my conquest, nrx, glx, legend elites and other MB rods before either of these two rods.
    Last edited by bigfruits; 01-16-2019 at 04:29 PM.

15. Member
    I love the FMJ