Dual Cranking Batteries?

I am running a one year old interstate size 31 and numerous times this year the Lowrance units would flash the low voltage alarm just a few hours into the day. Was curious how many of y'all run dual cranking batteries to power all electronics, livewell, lights, etc.

2. Member
    If your battery is good, it is likely a wiring problem. If you are not direct wired to the battery, then I would do that first. Not many run dual batteries for cranking, or, a separate house battery either. Some voltage readings of your battery after sitting off the charger for 10-12 hours would be useful as well.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Just one but it is a monster. 225 reserve with 850cca. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Just one but it is a monster. 225 reserve with 850cca. Cj
    Depending on the outboard, that battery may just meet the minimum requirements for the outboard only. I suggest, due to the way they deliver power, an AGM for the cranking and to wire depth finders on their own circuit to the battery, using 10ga wire to a fuse distribution box, then 12ga if you have to make a "run" to get to the depth finder.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Depending on the outboard, that battery may just meet the minimum requirements for the outboard only. I suggest, due to the way they deliver power, an AGM for the cranking and to wire depth finders on their own circuit to the battery, using 10ga wire to a fuse distribution box, then 12ga if you have to make a "run" to get to the depth finder.
    John
    I hear you John, but Trojan usually under rates their batteries by a bit. I believe that is at 0 deg F. I wont be on a lake at that temp! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    I run two cranking batteries.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

7. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrettbr12 View Post
    . Was curious how many of y'all run dual cranking batteries to power all electronics, livewell, lights, etc.
    Many of us run dual battery setups in electronics laden bass boats, one battery dedicated for cranking and one for house electronics/lights.

Actually if you do much travels to huge marinas and such, one will find a house+separate cranking battery setup is easily the most widely used setup in the world....... increasingly so as the costs and complexity of a boat increases.

I would steer clear of considering two AGM cranking batteries in parallel. Each already having low internal resistances and then wired in parallel can when heavily discharged offer an extreme low resistance to the outboard. Have seen overheatngs/early failures in the electronics of the outboards of paralleled AGM rigs.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Many of us run dual battery setups in electronics laden bass boats, one battery dedicated for cranking and one for house electronics/lights.

Actually if you do much travels to huge marinas and such, one will find a house+separate cranking battery setup is easily the most widely used setup in the world....... increasingly so as the costs and complexity of a boat increases.

I would steer clear of considering two AGM cranking batteries in parallel. Each already having low internal resistances and then wired in parallel can when heavily discharged offer an extreme low resistance to the outboard. Have seen overheatngs/early failures in the electronics of the outboards of paralleled AGM rigs.
    Which batteries do you use. Seems like I remember you have your crank and house on a switch that allows you to jump your crank if needed. Is that right.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

9. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Yes. They are different capacity AGMs. Combining via combine switch is possible for an use in an actual emergency.