"Emergency Stop" Alarm when ignition keyed off

2006 (2007 model year) 90hp
    (Mercury powerhead / smartcraft)
    S/No : 1B419158
    185hrs

Has anyone ever seen this before? - An unusual fault has suddenly appeared - every time when I key the engine off, I get a quick red message of “emergency stop” displayed on the Vesselview 4 before the display blanks out.

About a minute or so later, I get 2 short warning beeps, followed by a one long continuous beep.

Turning the ignition on, (but not starting) allows me to access the alarm history in the Vesselview – there is that days history of “alarm history raised” - all the “emergency stops”, with “check engine” noted as well.
    The engine starts and runs as normal.

Looking at the schematic in the service manual I note the lanyard wiring (black/yellow) does connect to the ignition switch – could this false “emergency stop” simply be a faulty ignition switch? - I don't have access to a spare, I'd need to order one.

Another fault appeared later in the day - The engine started and ran fine, however when I go to start, the Vesselview display “blanks out” but the engine still runs ok, with no engine data available on the other units on the nmea network. Still, the 2 short, 1 long beeps came on later after keying off the motor.

Thanks.

1 day later Update #1: Sourced and replaced the ignition switch in the throttle control box - no luck, still indicates emergency stop when key "off", The VV4 blanking out while engine running seems to have fixed itself.

Update #2: Plugged in a complete new 14 pin wiring harness 84-896537K20 into the 14 pin deutsch connector under the cowl, new 4 position switch, checked and reseated all the connectors including ECU I could find, etc - still no good, did notice the 2 short 1 long beeps are actually coming from the VV4.

So I'm guessing the ECU is stuffed? What chance do I have of sourcing a replacement ???? It's a Motorola ECM 0701, #897727008
    Last edited by GPM; 01-14-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: update after further testing

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check two items:

1. Is the ignition switch breaking (removing) power on the PURPLE wire when in the OFF position?

2. Check MAIN POWER RELAY (it's contacts may be sticking or fused).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Hi, Appreciate your help!

1. - Power is removed from Purple wire when off.

2. - Main Power relay tested, all good, however still replaced with new unit.

Fault still there on next start up/shut down....
    Last edited by GPM; 01-17-2019 at 05:54 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's look at the opposite end of the system as a possible cause then.

Check to see if perhaps you have a cross-feed (or constant power feed) to the Vessel View Link (or to your NMEA-2000 backbone).

It sounds like you are receiving a cross-feed on the PCM Wakeup Circuit (the PCM should be shutting down when you key off). One other possibility is water or corrosion in the keyswitch.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Problem solved - ECM/PCM replaced.

Our local Mercury Tech had the boat for a while, we eventually ended up sourcing a used ecm (vesselview now reads over 1500 hours on it), solved the problem.
    Plug in the original (186 hr) ecm/pcm, problem returns. Motor still runs fine on the original, just displays the Emergency Stop Fault on shutdown. If I just had analog gauges, and not the Vesselview, you'd never know the fault was there. Could still keep using the original, ignore the fault, at least the running hours would be accurate.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPM View Post
    Problem solved - ECM/PCM replaced.

Our local Mercury Tech had the boat for a while, we eventually ended up sourcing a used ecm (vesselview now reads over 1500 hours on it), solved the problem.
    Plug in the original (186 hr) ecm/pcm, problem returns. Motor still runs fine on the original, just displays the Emergency Stop Fault on shutdown. If I just had analog gauges, and not the Vesselview, you'd never know the fault was there. Could still keep using the original, ignore the fault, at least the running hours would be accurate.
    How much for new ecm so hours not so high? I like adding 185 rather than subtracting 1315. Might change my mind when I know price.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Since he's in Sydney... he would have to talk with a Mercury Marine dealer over there.