Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

North Carolina non-resident boating regulations?

We are looking for a place to vacation somewhere in the Smokie Mountains that has a lake. I was emailing a property owner and told him we would be bringing our own boats. He made a statement that we would be better off just renting a boat for our stay because North Carolina has regulations for non-residents that would cost us more money. I was looking for information on the internet but can't find anything like that.

Is this true or was the owner just trying to get us to spend more by renting his boats?
    jbird68

Morrison, IL

2006 Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS
    2006 90 HP Mercury Optimax
    80# Minn-Kota Terrova w/ iPilot

I have never heard of such. There is a NC law that anyone born after I believe 1986, has to complete a safety course to operate a boat. Not sure if that would apply to visitors, if it did its a pretty basic online thing.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

3. Member acoberhauser@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Maybe something to do with boat ramp fees for non-residents at that body of water?

4. Member
    I looked at a PDF of their regulations. Didn't see anything that would make it difficult. There is one regulation on there that I think would be easily beatable in court. The 90 days and you must register in North Carolina. States can not dictate that. Boating registration laws are covered by the Federal Government. The Federal Government says you can title a boat in the state you use it the most.

I fish NC waters a lot and im a non resident. There laws are much easier than Virginia. You should have no worries.
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    I looked at a PDF of their regulations. Didn't see anything that would make it difficult. There is one regulation on there that I think would be easily beatable in court. The 90 days and you must register in North Carolina. States can not dictate that. Boating registration laws are covered by the Federal Government. The Federal Government says you can title a boat in the state you use it the most.
    Laws like that exist so that all boats are not registered in the states that do not have a sales tax.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Call NC Wildlife at 800-628-3773.

Never heard of any issue, and NC makes it easy as far as fishing/boating.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

8. Member
    Pretty basic regs, just like most other states. Nothing that should cause you any problems. The warden will probably check you with an out of state registration. That used to be the number one complaint from out of staters around Falls.

9. Member
    It the lakes is Lake Lure they may be correct. Lot of hassle to fish that lake.
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

10. Member
    I would think your own boat would be better. I was told by a va game warden that if I drove a va registered boat and I was from out of state, I had to have a boaters safety license , regardless of my age. Not sure if nc is like that or not.

11. Member
    I didn’t think Va had any game wardens. As much as I have fished up there I’ve never been checked. Must be my honest face.

Fish in NC weekly and I've never heard of anything. Even met the Warden a few times and never had an issue.

I’m betting you are referring to lake lure. It is very expensive for nc residents to put a boat on that lake. That’s the only lake I’m aware that is like that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
    It the lakes is Lake Lure they may be correct. Lot of hassle to fish that lake.
    The rental just so happens to be on Lake Lure. But we found the rental to be way out of our budget anyway. I just thought what the owner told me was odd. I go back and forth from Illinois to Wisconsin and never had any issues. Been checked once by WI DNR.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT.

15. Member
    Wow, just checked out the web site for the lake. Crazy, I would just find another lake.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I didn’t think Va had any game wardens. As much as I have fished up there I’ve never been checked. Must be my honest face.
    Plenty of State Troopers and Fisheries officers on Smith Mountain Lake. They like to hang around the ramps on weekends.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
    The rental just so happens to be on Lake Lure. But we found the rental to be way out of our budget anyway. I just thought what the owner told me was odd. I go back and forth from Illinois to Wisconsin and never had any issues. Been checked once by WI DNR.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT.
    50 Dollars a day to use your own boat on Lake Lure
    https://www.egovlink.com/public_docu...0Fees/Lake.pdf
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Its not in NC but its in SC, look into staying at Lake Jocasse. One of the better mountain lakes in the south
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Its not in NC but its in SC, look into staying at Lake Jocasse. One of the better mountain lakes in the south
    Not much on accommodations on Jocassee, about all you have is the cabins at the state park or go camping. Plus you need both NC and SC licenses to fish the entire lake. You're right though, it is a beautiful lake.

I've never heard or read this regulation and my neighbors on the lake are out of state residence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast