Booyah Melee Bladed Jigs

Anyone tried them? Opinions? I use Booyah spinnerbaits a nd buzzbaits, but never tried their bladed jigs.
    Wondering how good they are.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Was about to make a very similar post actually! I've been eyeing that one since iCast and had planned to grab a couple to try this year. I did see one on the shelf for the first time the other day and I hesitate to even say this because it's incredibly subjective and means basically nothing, but I felt like they looked sort of "cheap." Not even sure what it was about it that looked that way. As such, I'm really interested to hear from anyone who's actually tied one on and thrown it. Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 01-14-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Autocorrect changed "subjective" to suggestive
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I liked the overall design, but my concern is with the way the blade connects to the head. Just wondering how resilient they are. I don't fish bladed jigs that much, but I'm planning to pick up a couple tp try out. I've always had good look with Booyah lures, so maybe they'll be another keeper.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Interesting. Durability was sort of the last thing I was worried about.

I've broken other chatterbaits, both the brand name and "home made" ones. In every case it was due to the line tie on the jig head opening up which left me reeling in a blade with the rest of the jig missing. I really felt like this design made that not a concern, but I've also only ever broken one by the line tie opening up. Maybe there's more to them than that. You think the wire that holds the blade might be too light, or that the lead underneath there might be too thin and make the head break in half, or something else?

I hope that's not coming off as critical - definitely not my intent. It's more that it fascinates me how two people can look at a bait and have completely different takeaways.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Booyah mentions they use a thin blade design. My concern was only with the strength of the blade at the connection point. Doubtful it will be a real world concern, just something I noted. It's definitely a different design than a Z-Man or similar, but it's supposed to come over and through wood cleaner which is where I fish bladed jigs the majority of the time. I just have other preferred baits around grass and pads. And with the blade/head design it appears they'll drop and wobble straighter down than a Z-Man type bladed jig when paused. I'll be testing a few in coming months.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Good insight. I fish them almost exclusively around grass, occasionally around docks, and basically never around wood, so it may turn out that it's a terrible design for the places and way I fish.

Really interested to hear from those who've put them to the test! If nothing else, I'll be able to rely on your impressions since it'll be months still yet before I'm able to try one.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

7. Member
    I ordered one last fall since they said it came through wood better than other blades jigs. That did not hold true for me.

8. Member
    I've fished it a few times. They claim it stays down in the water column better. I don't think so. I like the Picasso shockblade.

9. Member
    I’ve got 2 of them and I just assume to use jack hammers or shock blades. The booyah doesn’t have near the vibration of the other two and doesn’t staydkwn well.

10. Member
    Just picked one of these up. It's pretty solid, nice design....The thump and easy of getting going I'd rate the same as Zman, but they do have a really wide wobble that gets a fluke or splittail trailer going versus a tighter wobble see pic. Maybe it is how the blade is rigged on a rod versus a loop it allows more back to front travel? I am will you with the durability concerns, I don't like Zman because they connect direct to the jig. I prefer chatterbaits with the footbal heads and a split ring...Nutech, Picasso, KaRu, Siebert Outdoors.....But I do like these Booyah better than Zman so far.
    IMG_1659.JPG
    Last edited by MCS; 02-01-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Good review, thanks for sharing! Had it around any vegetation to comment on how well it comes through?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Good review, thanks for sharing! Had it around any vegetation to comment on how well it comes through?
    Not yet I've only fished it in my back yard hoa pond just to see how it ran and felt. I plan to go to a good fishing hole Monday and/or Wednesday so I will update after that. Another thing I noticed it the hole that keeps the blade on the bait is further away from the edge of the blade than on the Zmans.

13. Member
    It sucks. While the blade protects the hook from weeds 90% of the time, weeds get trapped in between the blade and the head. No way to shake em loose, that's why I am gonna stick with the football head and split ring type bladed jig. Should paid two dollars more and bought the Picasso tungsten knockers

melee 1.jpgMelee 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I ordered one last fall since they said it came through wood better than other blades jigs. That did not hold true for me.
    Try the SK Rage Blade. That thing is an animal in wood. A long as you keep it moving hangs less than a spinnerbait from my experience. Admittedly, it looks weird without a traditional head/eyes but the fish absolutely don't care.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
    Try the SK Rage Blade. That thing is an animal in wood. A long as you keep it moving hangs less than a spinnerbait from my experience. Admittedly, it looks weird without a traditional head/eyes but the fish absolutely don't care.
    Man that’s tempting. I might have to get some to try out. Can I send my wife your way when she gets mad about me trying yet another bladed jig?

16. Member
    I just ordered a couple Delta Lures Thunder Jigs....just over 5 bucks a pop, ton of colors and under 3 bucks to ship directly through them. I saw them listed on a retailer Z's Tackle that was posted by Missile Baits Instagram a few days ago. I figured these are cheap why not.

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Man that’s tempting. I might have to get some to try out. Can I send my wife your way when she gets mad about me trying yet another bladed jig?
    Sorry, can't help with the wife , but fortunately for you, it isn't very expensive. Just one more won't hurt, will it?
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

Between the reviews here and the ones on Tackle Warehouse, sounds like I'm leaving the Melee on the shelf. Just won't work where I fish if it doesn't come through vegetation. I really appreciate the helpful reviews!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

19. Member
    Between the reviews here and the ones on Tackle Warehouse, sounds like I'm leaving the Melee on the shelf. Just won't work where I fish if it doesn't come through vegetation. I really appreciate the helpful reviews!
    Ill mail you mine if you want to try it