Thread: TM Gen 1 ?

TM Gen 1 ?

Serial 1B459073. Was doing winter maintenance and noticed a small amount of moisture in the lube and maybe a little bit of tiny metal specs on top the oil. It was not completely milky at all more like a small line in the center of the fluid leaving the drain. No large sahavings at the cap. I remember bumping something during the last tourney but barely nicked one blade. I checked the fluid back in the summer so It must have happened sometime between the summer and now. I have a very small amount of side to side/up and down play in the prop shaft so I guess that’s where the issue lies. With the prop installed and downward pressure it’s not roaring so I must have caught it before it was catastrophic I hope? I What are the typical options and costs for something like this ? Bad carrier bearing ? I know if after the pressure test if the case is scared it’s toast but I am hoping not.

Thanks in advance !

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have propshaft runout checked FIRST. In and out motion on the propshaft (for this gearcase) is normal.

Dial Indicator Kit is required for an accurate runout measurement.

Results of that may indicate the need for further/deeper investigation (likely carrier will need to come out, but the runout should be checked FIRST).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor