Question Solix depth issuesi

I just installed a Humminbird Solix with DI/SI and am having issues with the depth reading erratic. I have tried Restoring the factory default for Sonar and when I do this it reads fine for a few seconds and then goes back reading erratic again like crazy at 2000 ft! Even if I put manually to control my range the depth reading is all over the range. Does anyone have a fix for this ?
    Thanks!

No. It's been discussed extensively on this site. Humminbird is working on a fix for the Helix series, ONIX series, and SOLIX series.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply Wayne. I have a couple questions for you.
    1.) Did this issue exist before the latest update? I installed the update before I ever put my boat in the water.

2.) My only option is to adjust my range manually and run like that until a patch is put out?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-21 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Wayne. I have a couple questions for you.
    1.) Did this issue exist before the latest update? I installed the update before I ever put my boat in the water.

2.) My only option is to adjust my range manually and run like that until a patch is put out?
    1. Yes, at least a couple of versions earlier.

2. That may work and only use 200 kHz or its CHIRP range. Don't know of a fool proof method.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Mine never had the depth issue till the last update. Si also seems to be harder to dial in as well

Try setting surface clutter to around 5. Helped mine quit a bit.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    Mine is actually jumping around at the max range on of the transducer. It is no where close to being correct. I can be in 15 ft water and be showing 1815 ft!

8. Member
    mine actually reads shallower than what the real depth is. Doesn't do it often but the latest update created it

9. Member
    It's fixed in 4.0 that will be released with Solix G2..

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Svensson View Post
    It's fixed in 4.0 that will be released with Solix G2..
    can you expand on this? HB tell you this and what about other that don’t have G2? My solix works fine but way to many problems out there for a,lot of guys
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Member
    4.0 will work with G1 too of course. There's beta-software and data simulations with old recordings put in the new software that don't show the problems regarding depth readings. But we will see, that's what i know, but this doesn't come from HB..

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-21 View Post
    Mine is actually jumping around at the max range on of the transducer. It is no where close to being correct. I can be in 15 ft water and be showing 1815 ft!
    Try setting the "Max Depth". This is NOT the same thing as "Max Range". "Max Depth" controls how deep the transducer tries to ping - its best to set it at 10 ft deeper than the deepest part of the lake. I usually set mine to 150 ft.

To set this, go to Settings->CHIRP Sonar Tab->Sonar Source->2D Sonar Tab->Initial Setup. Toward the bottom you will see Max Depth - take this out of auto and set to 10 ft deeper than the deepest part of the lake.

You should still be able to use the auto range with the max depth set.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wfb0002 View Post
    Try setting the "Max Depth". This is NOT the same thing as "Max Range". "Max Depth" controls how deep the transducer tries to ping - its best to set it at 10 ft deeper than the deepest part of the lake. I usually set mine to 150 ft.

To set this, go to Settings->CHIRP Sonar Tab->Sonar Source->2D Sonar Tab->Initial Setup. Toward the bottom you will see Max Depth - take this out of auto and set to 10 ft deeper than the deepest part of the lake.

You should still be able to use the auto range with the max depth set.

I tried this this and it still didn’t make a difference. I’m thinking my transducer or Solix is bad???

14. Member
    When you set this, was the depth still going crazy (like over 1000 ft)? If it was, then you may have set the max range and not the max depth. You shouldn't ever see depth deeper than your max depth if its set. It may have accidentally even got reset to auto. Take a minute to check this out and make sure its not in auto, because I think it may help you. Good luck!

Edit: Just saw that you restored factory defaults: This would definitely reset the max depth to auto even if it was previously set.
    Last edited by wfb0002; 01-15-2019 at 09:38 AM.

15. Member
    Lost a whole season with the update that ruined the depth readings. Getting ready for another season of $2000 worth of useless locators.
    Please release me,let me go.