Battery shutoff switches

I do not have room in my battery compartment to mount a traditional panel mounted battery cutoff switch. Are there any battery shutoff switches available that I could mount on my battery? Any suggestions welcome.

2. Member
    I don't believe either of the above switches is ignition protected. I would not use them if they are not. Not sure what kind of battery trays you have, but, if aluminum, I mounted mine right to the tray with an angle bracket form Home Depot.

2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Catdude! Great idea! I have TH Marine plastic trays. I will look closer in that compartment and see if I can find a place similar to what you did. Yes, I thought they had to be ignition protected as well. Thanks!

4. Member
    Forgot to ask, what brand switch is that in the photo? I'm currently looking at a BEP 701-s mini battery switch. Would that work?

5. Member
    It's BEP also. The 701-s is a battery selector switch, where the 701 is a single battery cut off.
    Last edited by catdude28; 01-13-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    What is ignition protected?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B20cc View Post
    What is ignition protected?
    Here you go. You don't want any fires in your boat.

The requirements and test procedures for the two standards are similar. Essentially, three test results will allow a device to be certified IGNITION-PROTECTED.

1. The device or component is constructed so that a defined flammable hydrocarbon mixture surrounding the device will not ignite if a normal electrical arc, spark or heat source ignites the mixture inside the device.
    2. Under the conditions of item 1, the device or component has insufficient energy to ignite the mixture inside the device.
    3. Under the conditions of item 1, the source of ignition is hermetically sealed from the surrounding mixture.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Here you go. You don't want any fires in your boat.

The requirements and test procedures for the two standards are similar. Essentially, three test results will allow a device to be certified IGNITION-PROTECTED.

1. The device or component is constructed so that a defined flammable hydrocarbon mixture surrounding the device will not ignite if a normal electrical arc, spark or heat source ignites the mixture inside the device.
    2. Under the conditions of item 1, the device or component has insufficient energy to ignite the mixture inside the device.
    3. Under the conditions of item 1, the source of ignition is hermetically sealed from the surrounding mixture.
    Awesome book answer! But in Layman's terms:

"You don't want the thing to spark when you turn it on and blow your boat to smithereens because of the vapors in your bilge!"
    Last edited by bqtoot; 01-15-2019 at 03:30 PM.