189 with other motor option questions

When I first started looking at a new boat I had budgeted myself up to 20k. Then I see the Vexus and am really impressed but way above my budget. So I was trying different options to get into it as cheap as I could. Now the 189 with the Suzuki option is $1500 cheaper than the Mercury option. So has anyone on here purchased one with the Suzuki and pros or cons to it?
    thanks!

My buddy has a 2018 suzuki 115 4stroke. Thing runs awesome, but it idles for shit when its cold. He has also had to remove two birds nests from the intake. I guess it has a big enough hole in the cowling that they are getting in there. Good motor overall though
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    My fishing buddy repowered his 164 Nitro with the 90HP Suzuki last year. He has 100 hours on it and it is doing great! He talked with a dozen local bass fishermen who have a Suzuki and got good reports from all of them. We do the oil changes, lower unit lube changes and purchase these Suzuki products at the dealer. It’s a very well thought out engine. You get a red light on your gauge when you need to change the oil. It burns so much less gas than his old 90HP 2 cycle Mercury and it’s faster. Very quiet.

We fish all winter long and last winter weaved our way through ice to catch a nice bag, but his has no idle problems ever. Hot summertime or cold wintertime it runs the same. Starts instantly.

4. Member
    Thanks for the help..I’ve read good reports online for Suzuki’s but didn’t know how it would pair up with the Vexus

5. Member
    I think it is one of the lightest 115HP 4cycles too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    I think it is one of the lightest 115HP 4cycles too.
    cool! that's always a plus too

7. Member
    Finding a service center for Suzuki will be issue but hear they are bulletproof and a lot of salt anglers are using them. Good luck. If u are going aluminum ride in a vexus before u purchase, well worth it compared to other tin rigs
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99