Thread: Wild hogs

Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Wild hogs

daughter and I took care of some piggies on our land this last week. Shot a few more than this.

2. Member

Bonsai!!! That boar has some nice cutters. Do you eat the boar? I've yet to find a method that takes the piss smell out of the meat on a boar with size.

Great job.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

6. Member
    When all of you guys show pigs,, the first thing that comes to mind is Loyd Osgood s Hog Hair Pork rind. Best pork rind ever made. Fish would chomp on it like it was bubble gum.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    When all of you guys show pigs,, the first thing that comes to mind is Loyd Osgood s Hog Hair Pork rind. Best pork rind ever made. Fish would chomp on it like it was bubble gum.
    I use to love that stuff many don't remember it.

8. Member
    I've yet to find a method that takes the piss smell out of the meat on a boar with size.
    Big boars are much harder to make edible, but try this: Cut pig in quarters. Make a brine with 1 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water in an ice chest. Add 1 -2 gallons of heavily iced water and let'er soak for 24-48 hours.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Good job!! That sow looks pregnant, so you eliminated a whole generation. We keep a few of the 150 lb. pigs. Most just get dumped and burned.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Bonsai!!! That boar has some nice cutters. Do you eat the boar? I've yet to find a method that takes the piss smell out of the meat on a boar with size.
    no we did not eat him, but did give him to a guy who said he would eat him. LOL

11. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Good job!! That sow looks pregnant, so you eliminated a whole generation. We keep a few of the 150 lb. pigs. Most just get dumped and burned.
    I believe she was prego indeed. Man, for a critter than does as much destruction as they do and causes the problems they cause they sure are fun to hunt.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    And just like that BACON!!!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Big boars are much harder to make edible, but try this: Cut pig in quarters. Make a brine with 1 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water in an ice chest. Add 1 -2 gallons of heavily iced water and let'er soak for 24-48 hours.
    That's spot on from my experience as well. A good salty soak will do it. Between brother and I we got 25 from 60-205# abd they all get immediately skinned and thrown in a cooler for couple days. Made them into a bunch of stuff and smoked a few gotta love it.